SAF2000 User Guide
Welcome to the SAF2000 user guide! In order to get started, make sure you have the following hardware on hand:
- SAF2000 Power Guard Phidget
- Power Supply
- powered device such as a motor controller
Next, you will need to connect the pieces:
- Connect the power supply to the barrel jack on the SAF2000.
- Connect wires from the SAF2000's ground and power terminals to the device's ground and power terminals. Ensure that you use wire of appropriate gauge for the amount of current in your system.
- Follow the instructions on the User Guide for the powered device you're using.
The SAF2000 protects both your power supply and your device from voltage spikes caused by reverse EMF generated by braking and reversing DC motors. In the event of such a surge, it prevents current from flowing back into the power supply and clamps the powered device's supply voltage to a maximum of 37V, dissipating the excess power until the surge has passed.
This device uses a diode to prevent current flowing back into the power supply, so expect a slight drop in the voltage seen by the powered device when in normal operation.
What to do Next
- Programming Languages - Find your preferred programming language here and learn how to write your own code with Phidgets!
- Phidget Programming Basics - Once you have set up Phidgets to work with your programming environment, we recommend you read our page on to learn the fundamentals of programming with Phidgets.