Remote Vint Hub ? POE version

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
AlanP
Fresh meat

Remote Vint Hub ? POE version

Post by AlanP »

I have a project which requires my vint hub to be sited 50m away from my laptop. I am using the Hub to interface multiple transducers and their location does not have a power supply nearby (the USB 5v supply won’t cut it). It would be great if Phidget could develop a Power over Ethernet (POE) version to help facilitate this over a single Cat 6/7 cable. I am currently using USB range extenders but this requires the making of a bespoke cable to supply power and ethernet combined & is not a great solution. I’m sure many people out there have come across a similar problem so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alan
fraser
Engineering

Re: Remote Vint Hub ? POE version

Post by fraser »

I believe you could use a HUB5000_0 in place of your USB VINT Hub, and then use a PoE splitter, giving you 12V and ethernet at your HUB5000. Then use the network to communicate with your devices. This is obviously a bit more expensive but it is an option, especially if you are using a number of range extenders.
AlanP
Fresh meat

Post by AlanP »

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
I have now successfully connected my HUB500 via a tp-link POE configuration but wish to connect to a laptop directly via an ethernet cable (not via my network hub)
I can see the Hub OK if I connect to my PC local network hub but not if I connect directly to the laptop ethernet port. (Hub green light flashing - Yellow light solid i.e. trying to connect).
Even without going via the POE hardware and plugging the HUB directly into the laptop I still get 'No Network Phidgets Connected' just the same. (I have tried standard and crossover ethernet cables with no joy and also tried disabling Norton to see if that was an issue)
I am sure it is down to the network configuration on the laptop but I am struggling to see what I need to do to progress.

Any further advice would be a great help.

Thanks
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

In this case, you'll need to configure the HUB and laptop ahead of time to have static IPs on the same subnet.

-Patrick
AlanP
Fresh meat

Post by AlanP »

That's the bit I am struggling with. How do I assign a static ip and subnet for the hub and laptop. I have attempted this but keep getting 'Unidentified Network' when I plug the ethernet cable in with no Phidgets detected in the control panel.
Do I need to create a unique subnet for the pairing? An example configuration would be great if possible.

Many thanks again

Alan