Thermocouples and Temperature Display

Any other Phidget projects you've done not related to the above subjects
EvansvilleCoffee
Phidgetsian

Thermocouples and Temperature Display

Postby EvansvilleCoffee » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:06 pm

I am currently reading temperatures up to 500°F using thermocouples, TMP1101 and HUB0000 via USB. I would also like to display the temperatures on a pair of 4 character 7 segment led displays such as the Arduino TM1637.

How would you approach a solution to this problem? The Phidgets SBC seems like one solution, as I should be able to map input data to multiple outputs to drive a display, but I am hoping there is a (much) easier way.

EvansvilleCoffee
Phidgetsian

Re: Thermocouples and Temperature Display

Postby EvansvilleCoffee » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am presently under the impression that there is no way to mirror an input on a VINT hub to an output on a VINT hub. In this case, it might be that what I had hoped to do is not going to work without going the SBC route, which also might not work as I still need to have the thermocouple Phidget readable by Artisan RoasterScope.

To this end, I am taking a different approach, and using a pair of dual-element k type thermocouples so that I can send one signal to my Phidget and the other signal to an Arduino for temperature display. Best of both worlds, I guess?

fraser
Engineering

Re: Thermocouples and Temperature Display

Postby fraser » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 am

The HUB0000 is definitely not set up to interface with something like that 7-seg. "Easiest" solution would be to use the Phidget GraphicLCD, then it would be just the HUB0000, TMP1101, and LCD1100. Can set it up to display all 4 of your temperatures.
Otherwise with the TM1637 you will need an additional microcontroller such as an Arduino to interface with it.

Return to “Other”