Use Phidget control panel without Bonjour???

General PhidgetSBC Discussion.
georgeuk

Use Phidget control panel without Bonjour???

Post by georgeuk »

Hi, I've just got my SBC out of the box and starting to explore what it can do.

I want to use the Phidget control panel running the web service to experiment connecting to the SBC to my PC via a CAT5 cable. If I use the SBC I'll be connecting across a third party network. The mention of Bonjour brought a frown to the network guys faces.

In an attempt not to use Bonjour I've gone into the SBC network settings and allocated a static IP address. Once set this address pings OK from my PC.

Is it possible to enter this static IP adddress into the Phidget control panel and switch outputs across my test network??? I haven't managed to get the 'you need Bonjour" caption to disapper yet.

George
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Use Phidget control panel without Bonjour???

Post by Patrick »

The control panel examples use Bonjour for finding Phidgets on the network automatically. If you want to open via IP address, you can either modify the example, or specify static IP arguments to the example. The examples are installed into the program files/phidgets/examples folder and accept the following arguments:

Code: Select all

Flags:
	-n   serialNumber	Serial Number, omit for any serial
	-r			Open remotely
	-s   serverID		Server ID, omit for any server
	-i   ipAddress:port	Ip Address and Port. Port is optional, defaults to 5001
	-p   password		Password, omit for no password

Examples: 
example.exe -n 50098
example.exe -r
example.exe -s myphidgetserver
example.exe -n 45670 -i 127.0.0.1:5001 -p paswrd
fajitas23
Phidgetsian

Re: Use Phidget control panel without Bonjour???

Post by fajitas23 »

Update:
All you need is the ip Address of the SBC. You can find it with, e.g. the angry IP scanner when the SBC and your PC are connected to the same network. https://angryip.org/download/#windows

Old:
I was able to connect to the SBC after many attempts. Not sure what made the difference. From there I could open the web interface and install the Debian packages. I wouldn't have known how else to install them (e.g. when using the SBC standalone with a screen and keyboard).
After one day the web interface stopped working (bad user name or password). Fortunately, I can still ssh into the SBC using PuTTy (and using that 'bad' usr/pw combo) and thanks to the debian packages I was able to install python, phidget22 library, emacs, git, etc.

Original:
Hi, after much trying, I was able to get Bonjour running on Windows 10 using these introductions:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2345766
Specifically, installing the latest Java version from http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
Then restarting and then reinstalling Bonjour.
If I go under Win+R and enter'services' I can now see Bonjour running, where previously it would stop immediately after starting.

The Phidget Control Panel does now not complain anymore about no Bonjour installation. However, no SBC is detected. I've got my SBC running, using an external monitor and keyboard but also connect through ethernet to my PC.

I also tried to connect to my SBC using Patricks help. But I can't find any example.exe under C:\Program Files\Phidgets\