Measuring BLDC motor temperature

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
darrenzz
Fresh meat

Measuring BLDC motor temperature

Post by darrenzz »

Hi - I'm using a DCM4109_0 motor and would like to monitor it's temperature. I'm assuming this can be done using a thermocouple phidget. Can you recommend:
- Which phidget/thermocouple to use
- Where to attach it on the motor casing
- How to attach (some heat conducting adhesive maybe?)

The docs show the rated temperature for the motor as 40 degrees C. At what point on the case does this refer to?

Thanks.
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Measuring BLDC motor temperature

Post by mparadis »

- You can use the TMP1100 to connect to any of our thermocouples, and the TMP1100 connects to a HUB0000 (USB VINT Hub) or HUB5000 (Wifi VINT Hub). Any of our thermocouples will do but I would recommend the TMP4104 since the stainless steel probes would be too bulky for this application.

- The thermocouple should be measuring the black part of the motor (the part closest to the wires). The other half is the gearbox and it won't heat up like the main motor body will.

- I'm not sure what the best way to attach it is. Probably some kind of adhesive or tape, just make sure that it's rated for high temperatures.

- The rated temperature in the specs is for ambient temperature, so the motor will get hotter than 40 when it's working. A cursory search online indicates you should try to keep temperature below 60C.
darrenzz
Fresh meat

Re: Measuring BLDC motor temperature

Post by darrenzz »

Many thanks for the detailed response.