Can I use this sensor with a 1018_2B?

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
lukehawkins23
Fresh meat

Can I use this sensor with a 1018_2B?

Post by lukehawkins23 »

I have an 1136 but want to measure lpg gas pressure up to 2kpa. The 1136 does work but I don't know how long it will work for because it is designed for clean air, and am considering purchasing the sensor in the attachment which is specifically designed for gasses like lpg. I believe I can wire it to a 1018_2B, and it will provide a value, but I am wondering whether the phidgets control panel will recognise it? And then, whether I will be able to make meaningful use of the values it is providing (this has already been calculated for the 1136)? Could I just use the 1136 profile to interpret the values from this non-phidgets sensor? Or will I need to somehow do the programming myself?
The sensor is very expensive so I want to be sure before I buy it.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
MRD26 (ID 2727).pdf
(392.84 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Can I use this sensor with a 1018_2B?

Post by mparadis »

Yes, you can use this sensor with the 1018. In the technical specifications, it lists various output modes: 4-20mA, 0-5V, 0-10V, etc. You'll want to order the model that outputs a 0-5V signal if you want to connect it directly to the 1018's voltage inputs. You can cut your Phidget cable and solder the red wire to the MRD26's red wire, black to black, and white to green.

The Phidget Control Panel won't recognize it or do the pressure calculation for you, you'll need to handle that. There's probably a datasheet for the 0-5V version of the MRD26 that specifies the formula to convert from voltage to pressure. You can take a look at our code sample generator to see what a simple Voltage Input program for the 1018 would look like. You'd put the conversion formula in the voltage change event handler.
lukehawkins23
Fresh meat

Post by lukehawkins23 »

mparadis wrote:Yes, you can use this sensor with the 1018. In the technical specifications, it lists various output modes: 4-20mA, 0-5V, 0-10V, etc. You'll want to order the model that outputs a 0-5V signal if you want to connect it directly to the 1018's voltage inputs. You can cut your Phidget cable and solder the red wire to the MRD26's red wire, black to black, and white to green.

The Phidget Control Panel won't recognize it or do the pressure calculation for you, you'll need to handle that. There's probably a datasheet for the 0-5V version of the MRD26 that specifies the formula to convert from voltage to pressure. You can take a look at our code sample generator to see what a simple Voltage Input program for the 1018 would look like. You'd put the conversion formula in the voltage change event handler.
Thanks for this great info. I'll request the data sheet. If they do not have one, I will need to do all the formula stuff myself which I have no idea about. Which formula would you pick as being more reasonable without seeing the data sheet? It would be a 0-5V signal.
lukehawkins23
Fresh meat

Post by lukehawkins23 »

This is what I received from the supplier:

"This is commonly called scaling in electronics or PLC programming etc.

O volts is zero pressure

5 volts is full scale pressure

It’s a linear equation

Y = MX +C"

In my case, I'm operating from 0-2kpa.