Phidget interface kit 0/0/8 not being detected on Linux

Supporting 2.6 and up
spiked55
Fresh meat

Phidget interface kit 0/0/8 not being detected on Linux

Post by spiked55 »

Hi,

I'm very new to programming with Phidgets, so bear with me. Let me explain to you my situation:

I am trying to use the Phidget Interface Kit 0/0/8 to control some external devices. I'm using the Python samples on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10).

When I run the Manager_Simple.py program, which is just supposed to output the connected Phidgets' type, version, serial no. etc, I don't get any output whatsoever, even though my interface kit is connected to the USB port. I know that the kernel has registered its presence, since dmesg clearly shows that FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0. I have tried multiple programs, but it seems that whenever the program checks if the Phidget is attached using the waitForAttached or isAttached call is when it fails.

The program otherwise runs fine, so I think the installation and configuration isn't the problem. I tried the C version of the same files, tried running the programs with sudo, to no avail. Googling did not help my situation any, because no one else seems to have my problem. Am I missing something big and obvious here?

I would really appreciate a response. Thanks for reading.

Vik
burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Re: Phidget interface kit 0/0/8 not being detected on Linux

Post by burley »

Do you see the device as being attached if you run lsusb?
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com
spiked55
Fresh meat

Post by spiked55 »

Hi Brian,

Yes, I do see it show up after doing a lsusb. It shows up with the Device and Vendor ID, with the name "Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC". This info is what I used to add udev rules.

Vik
burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Post by burley »

Try installing our libraries again. There is no FTDI chip in the device so it doesn't make sense that it would be showing up as that. It should show up as a Phidgets device. My guess is that your installation got corrupted.
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com
dschouten
Phidgetsian

Post by dschouten »

Hi,

We are encountering exactly this problem.

We have a PC connected to a UPS. After the UPS dies (battery runs out after power loss) and the PC loses power, when power is restored, we need to physically unplug and plug the phidget hub (same USB port is ok) in order for it to be recognized.

This state does not seem to be reached if we just do a clean reboot. It only seems to happen after an "unexpected" power loss.

We have tried "udevadm trigger" and also unbind/bind the USB bus; even a "clean" reboot after power is restored does not do the trick. Have also tried cutting power to the PC completely ... to no avail.

Once the system enters this state after UPS power loss, only manual intervention seems to restore it.

Is the hub entering a funny state? Is there a software mechanism to send a restart command over a USB port somehow?

This is quite urgent, because we are shipping a system soon and we had counted on everything coming back up without manual intervention after power loss.

thanks, Doug