Help using InterfaceKit 8/8/8 1013_3B

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
Mrwn
Fresh meat

Help using InterfaceKit 8/8/8 1013_3B

Post by Mrwn »

Hello all,

First of all I am completely new to phidgets and electronics so any piece of advice/knowledge is welcome!
I mistakenly ordered a 1013_3B InterfaceKit instead of 1013_2B, which doesn't connect to my Phidget21 Control Panel. I was planning on using it to send a 5V trigger signal using a VINT HUB phidget (HUB000_1) and Voltage output (OUT1000_0). Is there any way I can make this work with the hardware and software version I have now?

Thank you!
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Help using InterfaceKit 8/8/8 1013_3B

Post by mparadis »

There is no 1013_3B so I'm assuming you mean the 1018_3B. Unfortunately, the 1018_3B has a newer processor chip that is not supported under Phidget21. For this reason, we still sell the 1018_2B which is compatible with Phidget21.

Similarly, any VINT hub or VINT device like the HUB0000_1 or OUT1000_0 are also not supported in Phidget21, since they also use new hardware and were released after support for Phidget21 had ended. If you want to use any of the devices you mentioned, you'll need to start using Phidget22.

As for whether the setup you described will work, I'm not sure what you mean. The 1018_3B doesn't need to use a VINT Hub since it connects to your computer directly via USB, and you can send a 5V signal simply using the HUB00001 and OUT1000 on their own (or the 1018_3B on its own, since it also has 5V digital outputs).
Mrwn
Fresh meat

Post by Mrwn »

Thank you for your reply, yes 1013_3/2 was a typo. Knowing that I have Phidget22 on my personal computer and Phidget 21 on the work computer, is there any way to pass information from one to the other? I'd like the work computer to issue a trigger signal, relayed by my personal computer to the device I want to start recording with.

Also thank you for clarifying that the VINT hub doesn't need the interface kit and vice versa, I was confused when receiving both in my order :lol:
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

If the work computer (Phidget21) is the one that has the Phidgets physically attached, then you're limited to the 1018_2B and other older Phidgets. You can have your personal computer be the one that actually runs the program, you'd just have to install Phidget21 (ideally same version number) in order to see them over the Phidget Webservice.

I'm assuming installing Phidget22 on the work computer is not an option because it's running an unsupported version of Windows? If it's Windows 7 you may still be able to get Phidget22 running, it just might take a bit of extra work to get the drivers straightened out. Another potential option for controlling newer Phidgets from the work computer is WebUSB- a protocol that doesn't need drivers installed at all. You can go here to see if it works.
Mrwn
Fresh meat

Post by Mrwn »

Thanks again for the hints, as those options couldn't work I'm simply going to issue another order with the right versions. Are there equivalents to the VINT Hub and voltage output supported on Phidget21?