Phidget RFID description in Windows

Supporting Visual Studio on Windows
JonPerkinsWds
Fresh meat

Phidget RFID description in Windows

Post by JonPerkinsWds »

Hi, sorry - newbie question here. We are using a Phidget RFID on a product that we are developing, and this device gets plugged in to Windows to talk to our app. When our device is plugged in to Windows the {Settings > Devices} page either says 1024 or (with latest Windows build 2004) it alternately says PhidgetRFID. Is there any way that I can change this text to say something like "My XYZ Device" in order to make the whole experience for the end-customer a bit more polished?

:-)
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Phidget RFID description in Windows

Post by mparadis »

I'm not aware of any permanent way to change the name that shows up in the Windows "Devices and Printers" or device manager pages. I think you could temporarily change it in regedit, but it would probably revert if you unplug it.

Is there any particular reason your users are going to be accessing the Phidget through the device manager? The only reason I can think of is for troubleshooting purposes to make sure it is physically connected.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Phidget RFID description in Windows

Post by Patrick »

You could probably look at doing this with a custom .inf, but this is up to you to research.

-Patrick