wireless VINT detaching

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
speed
Phidgeteer!

wireless VINT detaching

Post by speed »

I have 5 wireless VINT devices setup to control lights around my house. They work great, when they are attached, but they seem to be detaching regularly for up to a few minutes. I just upgraded the firmware in all of them. They don't seem to have a problem being found on the network or connecting to the wifi, the signal seems strong enough, we just installed a new, fancy, powerful router because this was happening. What might be causing this? Is there a way to log this on the device?
speed
Phidgeteer!

Re: wireless VINT detaching

Post by speed »

I found the device logging, this is what it is showing. It seems to time out connecting to the server. Is that going to be a wifi issue? The server hasn't gone down.

2020-03-22T19:47:20 <ERROR> phidget22net[runClientConnection()] : 'landscape-lights-5' failed for client phid22device://192.168.1.150:63893
server.c+658 handleDeviceClient() : (Timed Out) failed to handle client request
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Can you have a look at the system log on the HUB5000 - see if the WiFi connection is going up and down. The kind of error you posted is cause by a client connection being forcibly closed, for example if the client application is shut down. Could also be caused by the network going down.

-Patrick
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

The system logs only seems to show information from when I first configured the devices. I have attached one of them, but they all appear very similar.
It seems that the devices is lose connection to the program that is running on the computer and when that happens the output that was True becomes False. Is there any way for them to latch the output? How is the time set in the device?
Attachments
175systemlog.txt
(18.25 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

The HUB5000 will close and reset all devices if there is a loss of communication. I'm not really seeing anything wrong is the system log. Do you have a client-side log? In your own program, you would need to enable this with the logging API.

-Patrick
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

I will set up the client side logging, but at this point it just logs that a device has detached or attached. Is there any way to have it maintain the position of the output if it loses connection?
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

I have just enabled the logging in my program. So far the only thing that isn't looking right is this message:

PhidgetDigitalOutput: server/client class version mismatch: 2 != 1

what do I do to fix that?
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

here is the log
Attachments
phidgets.log
(20.57 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

You can fix the version mismatch by upgrading your client-side library. It's generally best to be running the same version of the library both client and server side. That being said, things will work fine, unless you are trying to use a device or API which requires the newer version.

I'm seeing lots of IO errors. This indicates that the network connection is not stable. Whether this is an issue with the HUB5000s, the WiFi AP, or the PC, is really hard to say. When the server sees an interruption in the connection, it closes and resets any open channels. The client side will keep trying to reconnect. Are you able to connect a HUB5000 via ethernet, without changing anything else, and see if that's more stable? Out of the 5 VINT hubs, are you seeing issue with all of them?

-Patrick
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

this detaching is still an ongoing issue. the firmware is up to date. we noticed yesterday that when the washing machine was running, all VINTs detached. what would cause this? any idea how to fix it?