New Phidgets suggestions

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
nm17
Phidgeteer!

New Phidgets suggestions

Post by nm17 »

Hi

I have 2 suggestions for new Phidgets for your consideration:

1. VINT hub with more ports than hub0000, or a way to daisy chain them but having an option of e.g. 6 and 12 ports would be great for most uses.

2. Encoder input on VINT stepper controller boards (and others). I know this is controversial as your approach is to have more modular products but... it is very likely any motor controller application (stepper or DC) will need an encoder of sorts attached to it. If I need to get another encoder board (eg. ENC0000) then this is taking a valuable VINT port, needs more cables, and space to fit into whatever enclosure is being used. So, whilst I think a modular approach is a good idea I think removing encoder input from boards is probably too much.

3. Some parts expect a barrel connector for power which is ok, but all parts should as default have a standard terminal for power (ie so you can screw the wires in), e.g. the USB hub has only barrel connector (hub0003). Barrel is fine for a desk set-up but for any project it introduces extra pain that is not necessary and I guess most applications will be a project and not a replacement for desktop usb hub which can be bought anywhere for probably less money.

I hope these help as user feedback
fraser
Engineering

Re: New Phidgets suggestions

Post by fraser »

We always appreciate user feedback. We take all comments into consideration.

Regarding the power jack issue, something to consider is a male pigtail, I don't think we sell them, but you can get them all over. Something like:

https://www.amazon.ca/Pigtail-Connector ... B07FGRHSMK

Could help a bit. We generally only go to terminal blocks when potential current of the device exceeds the suggested current of the power jack.
nm17
Phidgeteer!

Re: New Phidgets suggestions

Post by nm17 »

Thanks - I am aware of the pigtails and occasionaly use them. It's less than ideal as the barrel connector itself will be fairly long then few inches of pigtail so it gets messy and bulky quite quickly if you are trying to package few components into a small box.