Conflict with Unity's New Input System

Supporting Visual Studio on Windows
Cyberben3d
Fresh meat

Conflict with Unity's New Input System

Post by Cyberben3d »

Has anyone else tried using Unity's new Input System with Phidgets? I had both a RFID and a HUB with 4 port Relay working perfectly. Then it started timing out on the Open command. If Unity was Open, even the Control Panel couldn't connect to it the Phidgets. It took a while to figure out it was after I had enabled the new Input system (under Player Settings) that it started doing this. Apparently Unity's new Input System does something to block Phidgets, even while the project is not in Play mode. For my project, I'll just use the old input system, but this could be a problem for others.
simonjkendrew
Fresh meat

Re: Conflict with Unity's New Input System

Post by simonjkendrew »

I've just discovered this issue now, using Unity 2021.3.15f1 and the New Input System v1.4.4. Did you manage to find a solution / fix for this?
Cyberben3d
Fresh meat

Post by Cyberben3d »

I did not find a solution. I don't remember if I tried enabling "both" for the input systems under Player Settings but it would be something to try. I'm glad you posted here because I forgot all about it and I'm starting a new project with Phidgets soon.
simonjkendrew
Fresh meat

Post by simonjkendrew »

I already had 'Both' Input systems enabled. Only by switching to the Old input system could I then connect to Phidgets. I also found a post about this issue on the Unity forum from a few years ago.

https://forum.unity_com/threads/new-input-system-possible-to-prevent-device-from-being-recognized-or-remove-it-completely.1174121/#post-8753425
[Replace the _ between unity and com with a .]

I was only using the New Input System to use a joypad until I replaced the joypad with a custom hardware device that uses phidgets, so this issue isn't a deal breaker for me on this project. However, I would have thought the issue might have been resolved by now, given that it has been identified a few years ago.
simonjkendrew
Fresh meat

Post by simonjkendrew »

I've just checked this issue again, it is still present in Unity 2022.3.5f1 & Input System 1.6.3.