Phidget 1130 ORP/pH board

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
paulr33
Phidgetsian

Re: Phidget 1130 ORP/pH board

Post by paulr33 »

I think the sensor is probably damaged, the readings just make no sense.

I tried plugging the Arduino into my laptop and only using the ORP sensor and the code was about 8 lines long and via laptop and USB adruino (laptop charger unplugged) I still had reading values that didn't make sense.

Currently the Arduino is powered off a USB phone charger but even from the laptop the sensor readings made no sense.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Ok you should contact support@phidgets.com for a replacement.
paulr33
Phidgetsian

Post by paulr33 »

hi all
new sensor received and working well, pool reads ~680mv, as expected a much more normal result. ill post up some data once I have a week worth of values from my setup
paulr33
Phidgetsian

Post by paulr33 »

hi all,
the replacement sensor worked for about three months and died, but this time, both the PH and ORP sensor died. I think its my installation location.

My sensors are installed like this;

PUMP ----> pipework (with ORP and PH) ----> Filter ---> Salt Chrloinator ---> pool

When my pump runs on speed 2 pressure is around 58psi and on speed 3 pressure spikes past 75psi. I think what happened earlier this year is that the filter got clogged up so the pressure when i was vacuuming went past 75psi and killed the sensors. the tech specs for the sensors say these are rated at 82psi max. Would excessive pressure damage these sensors?

I had a look at my salt chrolinators official OEM ORP and PH kits and it plumbs both sensors in AFTER the filter, not before, so this is a significant difference of installation location.

The setup based on the chorlinators ORP/Ph kit would look like this;

PUMP ----> pipework ----> Filter ---> Salt Chrloinator (ORP and PH plug in here) ---> pool

This would mean though, that because the line returns to the pool it doesnt always hold water when the pump is off, so would these sensors (the phidgets ones) continue to work when they are not submerged in water? The commercial salt chrolinator sensors dont mention any sort of issues and obviously it would not be fully submerged all the time being on a non-vacuum return line to the pool.

I can buy new phidget sensors and put them in the return line where the salt chrolinator install suggests but would they be ok not being submerged all the time ?
paulr33
Phidgetsian

Post by paulr33 »

hi all,

does anyone know if the lab sensor is the same physical dimensions and NPT thread as the industrial sensor?

ASP200-2-1M-BNC pH Lab Electrode
jdecoux
Labview Developer

Post by jdecoux »

They are not the same. The lab electrode is 12mm in diameter, while the industrial electrode is 29mm in diameter.
lingvo
Phidgetly

Post by lingvo »

Hi all,

I also try to use ORP and PH Phidget to measure pool water. But from other forums I read that if both ORP and PH are measured, the electrodes should be isolated, as otherwise the loops are created through the water. Is this correct?
This means I will have to use pH Phidget and not PH/ORP Analog Module, as last has no isolation, correct?