I may have bought the wrong Sensor. HELP

Comments & issues
9000cse
Phidgetsian

I may have bought the wrong Sensor. HELP

Postby 9000cse » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:59 am

Hi, I'm new here and to the world of Phidgets. And think I may have bought the wrong parts. So, help required. Can the IR reflective 1103 sensor be mated to the 1012_2 and work?
Thanks for reading and I can see me asking a few if not a lot of more question, which on hind site, I should have done before I jumped into the world of Phidgets. :?

MarkS
Phidgetly

Re: I may have bought the wrong Sensor. HELP

Postby MarkS » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:16 pm

The 1012 only supports digital inputs/outputs. The 1103 is an analog sensor, so you need an Interface Kit that supports analog inputs, either the 1018 (8 analog inputs) or 1011 (2 analog inputs).
Link: EcoSteam - Residential Steam Boiler Control using Phidgets
"Bringing 21st century automation to a 19th century home"

9000cse
Phidgetsian

Postby 9000cse » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi Mark. thanks for getting back to me. I need at least 9 inputs. so that would mean buying 2 1018s. Correct? Can the 1018 be connected to the 1012?
I have connected the 1012 to one of the 1103's. and get a response. I.E. InterfaceKit-full shows that a sensor is present and ticks/un-ticks when I blank the sensor off. Black to ground, white to data, and red to the 5v.
This sensor is ideal for my needs. but from what you say, I would need to buy two 1018's or, 9 sensors that work in the same way for the 1012.
The crazy think is. I did seek advice before buying. and was told that the 1012 and 1103
. You could use the 1103 instead if you want.
so I went and bought the 1012 + 9 x 1103's. then got an email from same person
The 1103 is also an analog sensor. It isn't really suited for use with the 1012.
. That throw me a bit. Parts arrived today. so set about looking how things worked, that's when I posted the above. As I say. I do get a response within Interfacekit-full and the software I plan to use with it. So, at present very :? to say the least. Cheers, Andy

MarkS
Phidgetly

Postby MarkS » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:37 pm

The 1103 is listed as an analog sensor and is really intended to be used on a 1011 or 1018. That said, the 1103 only provides a 0 (detect) or 1000 (not detected) value to the analog input, which technically makes it a discrete sensor as well, so the way you have it hooked up might drive a 1012's digital input. Do you see a change in the digital input when you put an object in range of the sensor?

I'll defer to the technical support guys at Phidgets for the relative merits/pitfalls of doing this.

All of the Interface Kit family are USB devices. They don't talk directly to each other, but if you plug one or more into your computer, the Phidget Control Panel will see them. Any software you write can connect to whatever you have plugged into USB. For instance, in my application there's an SBC3 (which has an on-board 8/8/8 Interface Kit), a 1051 Thermocouple Input, and a 1002 Analog Output. My application software uses the data coming from sensors attached to the SBC and the thermocouple to drive the analog output value.
Link: EcoSteam - Residential Steam Boiler Control using Phidgets
"Bringing 21st century automation to a 19th century home"

9000cse
Phidgetsian

Postby 9000cse » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi. Yes. When you blank off you get no tick. Unblank and you get a tick. Within the software. UR30. It's software for counting laps, For a slot car track. Car travels over sensor so registers a lap. And UR30 sees this. Under my basic test anyway. Will not know for sure until all hooked up. But so far. Promising. It seems to work.

Return to “General”