Deploying a VB6 app using COM

Legacy support with Phidget21
Jim Mack
Fresh meat

Deploying a VB6 app using COM

Postby Jim Mack » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:52 pm

I've written an app in VB6 using an 8/8/8 board. It works well on the dev box, but I don't seem to be able to roll it out to any box that doesn't already have the whole Phidget shebang installed.

Dev machine is Win7/64 Pro, targets are Win7/64 Home Premium. AFAIK all are up to date with patches etc. I use Inno Setup to install and register the bits. I followed the published guidelines for coding against COM.

Phidget21.dll and Phidget21COM.dll are in the app directory, and correctly registered -- I can see all the entries in HKCR/Classes etc. But the app fails on load because it can't create the PhidgetInterfaceKit object.

Using Dependency Walker, I can see that my app tries to load the COM DLL but fails like this (from depends):

Code: Select all

LoadLibraryExA("d:\program files (x86)\bun player\Phidget21COM.dll", 0x00000000, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) returned NULL. Error: %1 is not a valid Win32 application (193).

Which sounds nuts. The same everything runs fine on the dev box.

Profiling just the COM DLL, I see these:

Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.

There's no clue as to what 'implicitly dependent module' has the missing export.

Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.

The second error seems to gibe with the "not a valid Win32 application" message.

Any clues?

FWIW I've tried every permutation for instantiating the interface, both with and without a Reference and a Component, using 'as new phidgetinterfacekit' and 'controls.add', etc. All methods fail identically as above. The problem is clearly not in the VB6 code.

Return to “VB 6.0”