Odd bipolar stepper motor behavior

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
carllipo
Fresh meat

Odd bipolar stepper motor behavior

Postby carllipo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:57 pm

I have a set of Phidget Bipolar stepper motor drivers (1063) running 4 NEMA-17 bipolar stepper motors (42BYGHM810) in a sample handing system (controlled via python). Everything has been running well but suddenly one of the motors has started to randomly move in a back and forth fashion. Often it will run fine, but occasionally when the program tells it to go one way, it goes the other. Sometimes it jerks back and forth in a continuous fashion after being given the direction to move to a new position. I've double/triple checked the wiring.

Have anyone seen this behavior before? Do you suspect its the motor or the controller or both? Any ideas on what can be done to fix it/troubleshoot it? Or what I should replace first?

mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Odd bipolar stepper motor behavior

Postby mparadis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:22 am

It's possible you're experiencing a phenomenon called "ringing". Systems with motors often have all sorts of mechanical vibration, and if these vibrations are at a specific frequency, it can cause a stepper motor to over-step. This can cause the stepper to lose torque, or sometimes rotate in reverse. Try running the motors at a different velocity to avoid this resonant vibration.

If this doesn't work, try switching the motor with one of the working ones. If the problem still happens on the same controller, try switching the controller's place with one of the working controllers in your program and see if it still happens on the same controller.

Return to “All Other Phidgets”