1012 Interface kit + solenoid

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
aro
Phidgetly

1012 Interface kit + solenoid

Postby aro » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 pm

I'd like to control an array of solenoids and am looking at the 1012 board.
I've been looking through the product description document and want to clarify something: it says that the board can be used like a relay to control components like a solenoid that need high Voltage/Current. The description shows the connection going from the digital output -> Load (light bulb) -> Power Supply (+) -> Power Supply (-) -> Ground on the board. However, on the relay primer page, it advises against having the + side of the power supply connecting directly to the load as this is unsafe. Is there a reason that the opposite is displayed in the 1012 documentation?

In addition, I am overall planning to program an Arduino and use the digital output to control this Phidget board, with an external power supply to power the solenoids as I would like this to be computer independent (needs to run for several days). Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Re: 1012 Interface kit + solenoid

Postby burley » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 am

The bit that you read pertains to AC power. You don't need to worry about it with the 1012, especially when it is just a low voltage level like that. Though you certainly can switch the location and it will function the same if you prefer.

As for your plan to use an Arduino to control this board. That won't work. The 1012 REQUIRES an active USB connection in order to function. No Arduino that I know of has a USB host controller on board. If you really need this to be independent of a desktop computer then your best bet is to use a 1072.
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

aro
Phidgetly

Postby aro » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for your help. Are there any of the relay boards that can be computer independent and used to control a solenoid? 3051 says it can be controlled by any digital output, but does it need to be connected to USB at all time as well?

erik
King of the Lab

Postby erik » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 am

Yes the 3051 can be used, and does not need to be connected to USB. However, it does require external power to allow the relays to switch and hold their position.

Alternatively, you can take a look at the 3052 and the 3053. They are solid state relays and do not require external power to allow for switching the relay. This is probably the easiest way to have a relay connected to the Arduino. Also, they have protection against inductive kicks when the solenoids are disengaged.

aro
Phidgetly

Postby aro » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks erik.

So if I am ok with leaving it connected to a computer, would the best option be to control the 1012 directly from the computer, have the solenoids controlled by the 1012 board (with added diodes across the solenoid for protection) and an external power source for the solenoids?

If I want it to be independent from a computer, I can control the 3053 relays with the arduino digital output, and then only need an external power source for the arduino and solenoids. As I understand I won't need any diodes since the 3053 board protects the load.

erik
King of the Lab

Postby erik » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 am

Yes and yes.

Return to “InterfaceKits”