Upgrading programs on SBC

Supporting 2.6 and up
pmrawk
Phidgetly

Upgrading programs on SBC

Postby pmrawk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 am

Hello,

I want to upgrade JamVM on the 1070 SBC to the most recent version (1.5.4). What is the best option for performing this upgrade: incorporate into build root process, or cross compile and overwrite the binary?

Thanks!
-pm

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Upgrading programs on SBC

Postby Patrick » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:41 am

If you are comfortable with building the buildroot, then this is probably the easiest - you just need to change the version number in the jamvm .mk file.

-Patrick

pmrawk
Phidgetly

Postby pmrawk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks, I will try that out! Related to buildroot, have you seen any issue when make tries to download from sourceforge. In the current make of the SBC1070 firmware, it tries to download haserl and zlib. Both hang up on the connection; however, when I directly access the projects on sourceforge, I can download them. How do I redirect the buildroot to point at these addresses?

-pm

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:35 am

It's easiest to just manually download the .tar.gz and put it in the dl folder of buildroot, then buildroot won't try to get it. I've seen this for a couple of packages - which is why they are included in the buildroot distro.

Also, if you're working with buildroot a lot, you may want to create a dl folder outside of the buildroot tree and symlink to it so you don't lose your source downloads when you move to a new buildroot and need to download it all again.

-Patrick

pmrawk
Phidgetly

Postby pmrawk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:53 pm

I was able to get everything up to gnu-classpath downloaded and compiled. During the gnu-classpath build it fails for the following reasong:

Code: Select all

java -classpath antlr.Tool -o ... Unrecognized option: -o

How do you configure your classpath to get this working? I have Ubuntu with antlr installed and it still seems to not find it. Alternatively, is it possible to configure such that gnu-classpath does not need to docs - then it won't need to call antlr.

Thanks,
-pm

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:33 am

I remember having this issue as well, but I can't remember how I fixed it - maybe try installing antlr locally as suggested here: http://developer.classpath.org/pipermai ... 03103.html

-Patrick

pmrawk
Phidgetly

Postby pmrawk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:05 pm

I did manage to compile it, but only after digging into the classpath.mk file to give it the option "--disable-gjdoc." Classpath builds and JamVM compiles, but now JamVM will not link due to a lack of thread local storage (TLS). After talking to the JamVM project, I found out that you can disable TLS in their configure file. However, did you do the same to get 1.5.1 built successfully?

Thanks! Almost there...
-pm

pmrawk
Phidgetly

Postby pmrawk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:23 am

I got everything to compile. However, I left out haserl in the build, so when I uploaded to the SBC, I was unable to access the web interface. I have since recompiled with haserl; however, how do I flash the device without the webinterface tool? I can connect to my SBC over ethernet.

-pm

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:27 am

Have a look at the readme in the buildroot download - this documents using the phidgetnand tool to flash the kernel/rootfs.

-Patrick

pmrawk
Phidgetly

Postby pmrawk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:44 am

I checked out the document, but I was still unsure about the details. Am I supposed to scp the uImage and file system over into /tmp, then use the nand flash tool locally?

-pm

Return to “Linux”