Phidgets over internet - how? remote mass users connection

Comments & issues
zwolin

Phidgets over internet - how? remote mass users connection

Postby zwolin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 am

Is it possible to let website visitors control phidgets (advanced servo with some motors) over internet? If yes, how can I do it?

I want to let people trigger motors through flash website. I can't make them install webservice or phidgets manager on their computers in order to use it.

Did anyone built a website that allows people to interact with phidgets connected to host computer? What steps do I need to take in order to do this? Are there any references I could read and learn?

That's my second project with phidgets and ActionScript 3.0. I read all about webservice but I'm not sure if what I'm describing here is possible. Or described clearly enough to help me out:)

DSPRobotics
Phidgetsian

Re: Phidgets over internet - how? remote mass users connecti

Postby DSPRobotics » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm not sure you can do this using AS3, however I have managed to control Phidgets over the internet!

I use TCP and a fixed IP address and the FlowStone Pro software.

You make a EXE file at the Phidgets end with a TCP Server, the remote users have to download a local application (made in FlowStone) that has a TCP Client. This way you can log onto the remote IP address and send data to control any Phidgets device remotely.

This method works over the internet, on a LAN or Wifi!

zwolin

Postby zwolin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:35 am

Thanks for your reply, I totally forgot about this post:)

I don't like your solution - users shouldn't be forced to download any additional software.

So what we did in our group is we've set up a database in MySQL (my brilliant peer's idea:) so users update database upon action while flash file running on computer that has phidgets connected to it checks for updates in database. This way every time a new record is set in database - motor starts working.

So now we have a massive tank with confetti, a webcam streaming live online, phidgets motor that moves the clog of confetti tank and a fan that spreads confett around. User blows into the microphone on the website, when progress bar reaches 100% new record is set in database, computer with phidgets installed picks it up and moves motor letting confetti fall. User sees in camera that he blew confetti allover the place.

It works and you will be able to see it in action from next wednesday on Stena Line website.

DSPRobotics
Phidgetsian

Postby DSPRobotics » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Sounds Like fun! I like the idea :)

I must admit our solution isn’t really any good for your web type application. What we are doing is more industrial, literally controlling robots or machines (Using Phidgets) over the internet in real time. For this our way is better as it’s a more secure peer to peer connection.

Anyway glad you found a way in the end!

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 am

Should should be able to use Flash to control remote Phidgets - as long as the computer running the webservice is the same as the one serving the flash files. You'd also need to open the port for the webservice to the internet (and you'd probably want to enable the password).

-Patrick

zwolin

Postby zwolin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:31 am

Wouldn't I need in that case to set up a server and host domain by myself?

And if yes then I still cannot imagine how would it work - flash movie is embedded in html markup, so does it mean that website visitor will make flash movie run and connect to phidgets, attach and so on? And would it be for every visitor - so multiple instances of flash movie running in the same time and trying to trigger phidgets?

If no then how would your suggestion work? I open the port of webservice to the internet (that part I don't remember) and I set the password (that part I remember) and what's the setup? - phidgets connected to computer running webservice and flash movie on website (on some hosting provider's server) connects to webservice?
Is that what you had in mind? And would it be possible?:)

So many unknows and google nor documentation doesn't help here much..

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:34 am

It really depends on the scale of your project. If you are going to have many visitors, then you really need something running in the background on your server that will mediate between your Flash program and your Phidgets.

-Patrick

zwolin

Postby zwolin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:23 am

Stena Line campaign is live now, you can check out the confetti machine built with phidgets in here:

http://www.thefwa.com/submissions/stena ... et-de-luxe

(go to a website and blow into your microphone to spread confetti in ferry terminal in Karlskrona)

Some case study and maybe some pictures of machine itself will soon follow.

Flash,AS3.0, MySQL database, and PhidgetAdvancedServo 8-Motor with one motor:)

Return to “General”