IR Distance Sensor stability

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
wmaass
Fresh meat

IR Distance Sensor stability

Postby wmaass » Tue May 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Hello,

I have 2 of the IR Distance sensors mounted on a plastic project box. The sensors are attached to an 8/8/8 board. Both sensors are pretty close to the ground. What I am trying to do is measure the speed of an object like a golf ball as it rolls by. It works in general but I am having trouble in that the sensors are erratic. For example with nothing in the path of either sensor the values shown in Interface Kit fluctuate wildly even with the sensitivity reduced. Sometimes I get stabilize the values by placing an object like a large box within the outer limits of the sensors range but not always. I thought it might be the floor causing reflections or some sort of interference but even if I turn the box so that it faces the ceiling the values will continue to fluctuate in unpredictable increments. Any idea how to solve this?

fitchett
Site Admin

Re: IR Distance Sensor stability

Postby fitchett » Wed May 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Is this the 1101 or 1103?

Chester

wmaass
Fresh meat

Postby wmaass » Wed May 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Not sure but the info on the sensor says:

sharp 2YOA21 F 79

fitchett
Site Admin

Postby fitchett » Thu May 14, 2009 8:52 am

How much variation are you seeing? We don't make the sensor (that's from Sharp), and there is really nothing we can do about it, but perhaps there is some wisdom that can be added into our product manual.

Chester

wmaass
Fresh meat

Postby wmaass » Thu May 14, 2009 10:28 am

Plus or minus 200 is typical. Sometime very stable. I wonder if there is a better sensor that you sell that would suit my needs. I want to measure the speed and angle of a golf putt. If you have any suggestions please let me know, I'll gladly spend more money :)

Return to “Sensors”