Problem with 0/0/4

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
Gohtar

Problem with 0/0/4

Postby Gohtar » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:48 am

Last night I spent about 4 hours trying to figure out why my application was crashing with my 0/0/4 kit. I finally discovered that if more than 2 channels on the kit were turned on at the same time the computer would loose connection with the kit and then crash my program.

I opened up the Phidget Control Panel to verify my theory and sure enough I was right. If you tick 3 of the 4 boxes the window blanks out and then shortly after that the computer reconnects. Sometimes you get the Windows "your usb device is has been unplugged/plugged in" noise, you know the "buh-dink" :)

Lucky for me I had other computers to test with. I tested on 4 other computers and they all worked fine.

I made sure I had the most recent version of the libraries installed, I even downgraded to the version my other computers are running.

So I came to the conclusion there must be some incompatibility with the motherboard of this computer and/or it's usb drivers and the libraries. The drivers on the computer are all up to date and we have had no problems with any of the usb ports on the computer with any other usb device.

The computer that does not work has a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L motherboard and a Core 2 Duo E8400.

The other 4 computers are:
Acer Laptop (about 10 years old)
2 x Gigabyte Intel 865 - P4
Gigabyte x955 Royal - P4 640

4 of the 5 computers are running XP Pro and one is running XP Media Center 2005. As of writing this I realize that only the non-working computer has Service Pack 3 installed... maybe that is to blame...

Anyone have any ideas or insights? Anyone have a 0/0/4 working with XP Pro SP3?

Thanks

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:55 am

Do you have a powered USB hub that you could place between the computer and the 0/0/4? - It sounds like your computer may not be providing enough power for the relays, causing the phidget to reset itself.

-Patrick

Gohtar

Postby Gohtar » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:01 am

I think i have a powered hub I can take from my UPS on my server. I will try that tonight and post the result.

Forgot to mention... I tried 2 different 0/0/4 kits, both are version 7.04, both had the same issue. Also tried it with voltage on the relays and no voltage.

Gohtar

Postby Gohtar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Using a powered USB hub did correct the issues I was having.

Thanks for the help!

Gohtar

Postby Gohtar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:23 am

Turns out the USB hub only fixed the issues where I could not turn on all 4 channels at the same time with no voltage going through the relays.

I ended up going from a 10ft USB cable to a 6ft cable and that resolved all of my issues.

Before the switch to the shorter cable if we tried to turn on all 4 channels with interfacekit plugged in to the wall we would get the same crash and at random one of channels would turn on then off about a second later. Like it did not have enough power to keep the relay in open.

After the switch to a 6ft cable a lot of issues went away like that random switch off.

Does anyone know why this would be happening and why a shorter cable fixed it? I actually tried 2 different 10ft cable and 2 different 6ft cable on 2 different 0/0/4 kits and had consistent results.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:58 am

A longer cable will have more voltage drop - what is happening is the USB voltage is getting pulled down to a level where the Phidget resets itself because of the low-voltage detection. If your computer is providing a lower then spec voltage, and all relays are on and the cable is long, it can cause the voltage to drop too much.

Normally, this shouldn't be a problem though.

-Patrick

Return to “InterfaceKits”