DST1000_0 and DST1001_0 Out of range error when no object is present

Supporting 2.7 and 3.2+
clwilson12
Fresh meat

DST1000_0 and DST1001_0 Out of range error when no object is present

Post by clwilson12 »

Hey everyone, I seem to be having an issue with two different Distance sensing Phidget products (DST1000_0 and DST1001_0) where both Phidgets throw a "Sensor value is ouside the valid range for this sensor" error if there is nothing detected in the sensor's working range. This is all inside of the Phidget Control Panel.

Is this considered normal behavior? I would think that the distance would just not update if none was found, instead of throwing an error at the data interval specified.

If this is normal behavior, what is the best way to handle this error? I feel like simply bypassing the error could lead to future issues if there is legitimately an issue with the device.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-07 153043.png
Screenshot 2022-06-07 153043.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
fraser
Engineering

Re: DST1000_0 and DST1001_0 Out of range error when no object is present

Post by fraser »

For the sake of these products, there is only 1 error (Out of Range). So if you don't register errors for this device, it should behave the way you expect it.
Errors can always be curated on a per-error basis as well. In your own application, you can choose to do nothing with errors you don't care about, and report ones that you do care about.
Using the control panel will not give you the same amount of freedom, and will report the errors regardless. However the control panel is mostly just a tool to help you understand the product's functionality.