Unable to register 32 bit Phidget21COM.dll

Comments & issues
MeijinGandalf
Phidgetsian

Unable to register 32 bit Phidget21COM.dll

Post by MeijinGandalf »

I have an old vb6 program that requires 32 bit Phidget21COM.dll computer with Windows 10. I ran the phidget installer but the program does not work. It throws an error that says "Automation Error. The specified module cannot be found."

I tried registering the dll manually, but i am getting an error. It says "The module "Phidget21COM.dll" failed to load. Inside
c:\Program Files\Phidgets\x86 i ran the command C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe Phidget21COM.dll.

Any idea on what i can do to get this dll to register?
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Unable to register 32 bit Phidget21COM.dll

Post by Patrick »

I'm able to install the phidget21 libraries and run the compiled VB6 examples (which are 32-bit) from here: https://www.phidgets.com/downloads/phid ... om/VB6.zip

Maybe, see if you can run those examples?

Maybe, try an uninstall and then do a manual removal before a reinstall: https://www.phidgets.com/docs21/OS_-_Wi ... _or_repair

You shouldn't need to call regsvr32 yourself.

My guess is that your system may be missing some required VB6/COM module - I'm not sure what the status of VB6, COM, etc. on Windows 10 is.

-Patrick
MeijinGandalf
Phidgetsian

Post by MeijinGandalf »

This morning i fully reset the computer and installed phidgets. I just tried running couple of the compiled versions and it gives me

Run-time error 339.
Component 'Phidget21COM.dll' or one of its dependendies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Edit: I used the Package and Deployment Wizard to create a dependency file. All the files that it lists are on the computer i am trying to run this program on.

If i take out all references to phidgets in the project and remove the reference to the phidget library the program runs.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Is it a problem with the COM library or the C library? - Does the phidget21 control panel run fine?

I used this: https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies to have a look at dependencies of "C:\Program Files\Phidgets\x86\Phidget21COM.dll" - your system must be missing some dependency, or sub-dependency. I'm not sure how much more help I can be without being able to reproduce.

-Patrick
MeijinGandalf
Phidgetsian

Post by MeijinGandalf »

Figured it out! Thanks for the help. I used that same program to look at the dependencies.phidget21.dll a dll. I ended up installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package to get it to work.