Connect C62 BrainChild Temperature Controller to a phidget

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
mmejiag
Fresh meat

Connect C62 BrainChild Temperature Controller to a phidget

Post by mmejiag »

Hi!

My coffee roaster machine has two PT100 probes connected to its two C62 Brainchild Temperature Controllers. Both controllers are used only for showing the Bean Temperature (BT) and Exhaust Temperature (ET). However, I read that the C62 Controller has a retransmit analog output in order to send analog signals to a different device.

I would like to know whether I could connect this analog signals to the HUB0001_0 VINT Hub because I want to use Artisan Scope software for logging my roast profile, and this HUB is 100% compatible with that software. Also, I'd like to know whether I'd still need the Phidget TMP1200_0 such as in their Artisan Scope tutorial where the RTD probe is connected directly to the phidgets without passing through an extra device such as in my case.

I used to have the Phidget 1048 connected to artisan when I had two J type probes for reading the BT/ET temperatures (connected to the same Brainchild C62 controllers) with spliced wires. This is not possible anymore after I upgrade my probes, I know you shouldn't splice RTD probes.

Thank you!
-Mike.
mmejiag
Fresh meat

Re: Connect C62 BrainChild Temperature Controller to a phidget

Post by mmejiag »

I forgot to include the post I'm using as a reference for this project:
https://www.phidgets.com/phorum/viewtopic.php?t=8767

In fact, I see I'll need the DAQ1400_0 too.

Thank you.

-Mike
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

Yes, looking at the C62 datasheet, it supports analog retransmission in the form of 4-20mA and 0-10VDC signals. Neither of these can be read directly by a VINT Hub port, so you'd need a DAQ1400 to read the 4-20mA signal, or a VCP1000 to read the 0-10VDC signal.

Another thing you'd need to double check is to make sure Artisan supports getting the temperature in this roundabout way. Artisan supports the Phidgets VINT Hub, but usually it's getting temperature via a TemperatureSensor object like the 1048 or TMP1200. I'm don't know if it's capable of converting the 4-20mA signal from the CurrentInput object into a temperature and then plotting it in your roast graph.
mmejiag
Fresh meat

Post by mmejiag »

Thank you so much for your help. I'll check whether the software can run using that phidgets.
mmejiag
Fresh meat

Post by mmejiag »

mparadis wrote:Yes, looking at the C62 datasheet, it supports analog retransmission in the form of 4-20mA and 0-10VDC signals. Neither of these can be read directly by a VINT Hub port, so you'd need a DAQ1400 to read the 4-20mA signal, or a VCP1000 to read the 0-10VDC signal.

Another thing you'd need to double check is to make sure Artisan supports getting the temperature in this roundabout way. Artisan supports the Phidgets VINT Hub, but usually it's getting temperature via a TemperatureSensor object like the 1048 or TMP1200. I'm don't know if it's capable of converting the 4-20mA signal from the CurrentInput object into a temperature and then plotting it in your roast graph.
Hi again!

It seems it's officially supported. I'm posting this just in case someone needs the same information as me. Thank you.
Artisan Device Support
Artisan Device Support
DAQ1400 Artisan
DAQ1400 Artisan