PID loop for constant speed on the BLDC phidget dcc1100_0

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
ILIYASOLO
Fresh meat

PID loop for constant speed on the BLDC phidget dcc1100_0

Post by ILIYASOLO »

Hello dear forum,

I'm considering buying a DCC1100_0 in order to operate a BLDC motor. I just wanted to be sure about certain aspects of the driver before I buy it:

[*] I've seen the driver can control the speed of the motor but I was not able to figure out whether the driver can keep the speed of the motor constant at different loads (using some kind of a control loop).
[*]Can the DCC1100_0 withstand the 20A noted in its page without active cooling ?
[*]After I program all the needed parameters of the motor in the driver, can I control the driver using some kind of a control signal (analog voltage, PWM, etc)

Thanks!
Iliya.
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: PID loop for constant speed on the BLDC phidget dcc1100_0

Post by mparadis »

1) There's no built-in control loop for velocity (we have a position controller API, but not a velocity controller). Furthermore, the "velocity" variable in our BLDC API is just what the motor is putting out (in duty cycle -1.0 to 1.0), not the actual speed the motor is spinning. You'd have to write your own control loop that uses the positionChange event to calculate the actual velocity and use this to determine what to set the motor's targetVelocity to (targetVelocity is just what proportion of the controller's total power to send to the motor, ranges from -1.0 to 1.0).

2) Yes, the DCC1100 does not require active cooling when run within specifications.

3) Phidgets require a program to be running at all times on a computer connected to them (either directly or remotely). In order to use Phidgets in the way you've described, you'd have to write a program that monitors an input (like a 0-5V input on the VINT Hub) and then sends the appropriate command to the BLDC object whenever that input changes.