Getting ResistanceInput API to realize Saturation on getResistance

Supporting 2.7 and 3.2+
Rhybot
Phidgeteer!

Getting ResistanceInput API to realize Saturation on getResistance

Post by Rhybot »

I have an RTD Phidget (ID: TMP1200_0) that I control using Python 3.8.5 and Phidget22==1.6.20200921.

I have it reading the resistance of a 2-wire thermistor (nominal resistance of 2252 Ω) around room temperature. In software, I have its RTDWireSetup = Phidget22.RTDWireSetup.RTDWireSetup.RTD_WIRE_SETUP_2WIRE. The hardware has the EXC+ jumpered to RTD+, and EXC- jumpered to RTD-. It works great in the nominal case.

When I disconnect the thermistor, via the error event handler, I can see it properly raises an Error event with the code 0x1009 (EEPHIDGET_SATURATION).

What is most desirable for me is to avoid using the error handler. I try calling getResistance() while the thermistor is unplugged. What currently happens is the PhidgetException thrown has error code 0x33 = EPHIDGET_UNKNOWNVAL. I think the difference lies in ErrorCode (0x33) vs ErrorEventCode (0x1009).

Here are my questions:
[*] Is ErrorCode 0x33 == ErrorEventCode 0x1009 for TMP1200? In other words, when I get ErrorCode 0x33, can I conclude that it means there's a Saturation event happening?
[*] Is there some way to get any active error events with a method call? I looked at the Phidget API, and didn't see anything particular.
fraser
Engineering

Re: Getting ResistanceInput API to realize Saturation on getResistance

Post by fraser »

getResistance() returns EPHIDGET_UNKNOWNVAL since due to saturation, the device doesn't know what the resistance is. The device will return this error any time it is polled and doesn't have a recently calculated resistance. This is usually during a saturation for the TMP1200, but also can happen when the device has been opened but has not yet calculated the resistance before being polled.

EEPHIDGET_SATURATION is thrown by the error handler to let you know that the device is in a saturated state.

So to answer your Qs,
1. They are not equal, but are related most of the time. It's not safe to assume all EPHIDGET_UNKNOWNVAL return codes are due to saturation, but I would say it's safe to say most are, under normal operation.
2. To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any methods that provide all current errors. Definitely not on a per-channel basis in the API. But you could use the error handler to keep a running state of recent errors and make your own method to poll for those.

But it's possible there's another way to poll for errors I'm not aware of...
Rhybot
Phidgeteer!

Re: Getting ResistanceInput API to realize Saturation on getResistance

Post by Rhybot »

Thank you @fraser for the response, and for informing of other possible causes of EPHIDGET_UNKNOWNVAL.

I ended up implementing something that entails:

1. Recording the most recent error event with a timestamp
2. Upon getResistance, if it throws EPHIDGET_UNKNOWNVAL, then look at the recorded error event
3. If the timestamp was sooner than the Phidget's data interval, and the code was EEPHIDGET_SATURATION, then one can throw an exception tailored to a saturation event.