Example program error using Visual Studios Community 2017

Supporting Visual Studio on Windows
Mickd413
Fresh meat

Example program error using Visual Studios Community 2017

Post by Mickd413 »

When trying to start any of the example programs for Visual Basic I receive the following error;
"Couldn't process file from Form1.Resx due to it's being in the internet or restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files."
I've run into this error on 2 different Windows 10 computers running Community 2017. When I run the program on a third Windows 10 computer running Community 2015 I do not get the error and the example programs run as designed.
Any suggestions?
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Example program error using Visual Studios Community 2017

Post by mparadis »

I heard this error mentioned by another user a few days ago. It seems like in the new version, it'll give this error for anything downloaded from the internet until the user explicitly marks it as safe. I just googled it and it looks you can right click on the offending file in windows explorer and select properties, and then click the "unblock" button near the bottom.
Mickd413
Fresh meat

Re: Example program error using Visual Studios Community 2017

Post by Mickd413 »

I could not find anywhere in the file properties to unblock the file, but your response got me thinking and this is what worked for me.

I am using Internet Explorer 11

While on the Phidgets.com site open up the Internet Options,
Click on the "security tab"
Click on the "Local Internet" tab
Click on "Sites"
Click on "Advanced"
Type in Https://WWW.Phidgets.com
Make sure "Require Server Verification" is NOT checked.
Click ADD

I deleted the previously downloaded example program and then downloaded the example program again after making the change and it compiled and ran without error.
Thanks!