3135_0 Shear Load Cell vs 3136_0 Compression Load Cell

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
jnbastoky
Phidgetsian

3135_0 Shear Load Cell vs 3136_0 Compression Load Cell

Post by jnbastoky »

I'd like to use load cells on my homebrew setup to measure the weight of the pots. I'm expecting 175 lb (80 kg) max. I'm trying to decide which load cell to use. So seems like I should use three 50 kg load cells. That brings me to decision between the 3135_0 Shear Load Cell or the 3136_0 Compression Load Cell. The shear load cell is significantly cheaper, but the compression load cell seems like it would give me more flexibility in pot size and location on the load cell.

Does anyone have an opinion on which might be better for this application?
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: 3135_0 Shear Load Cell vs 3136_0 Compression Load Cell

Post by Patrick »

It really depends how you intend to mount them. I would recommend keeping them as far as possible from the heat source as changing temperature will change their characteristics. With the button type cells, you could potentially just measure the weight of your entire brewing stand by mounting them as part of the feet.

-Patrick
jnbastoky
Phidgetsian

Post by jnbastoky »

That's a good suggestion on the placement of the load cells, but the stand will have multiple pots. So I'd like to be able to measure each individually. But along the same lines, instead of setting the pot directly on the load cells, I'm thinking I'd use a plate (or frame or something) that would sit on the load cells and then set the pot on that. That would give me some flexibility is pot size. I have no set design at this point. In fact, I'll design the stand to accommodate the load cell. With the button cells it seems like I would have to set the pot on them directly. With the beam style I could put bolts in the ends to act as stand offs from the load cell. Then I could even level it with the bolts.

Is one type of load cell going to give better accuracy than the other? Is the button load cell more forgiving for not being level?
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

In that case i'd recommend the 3135. Have a look at the load cell primer for more info. We also have some projects using load cells.

-Patrick
jnbastoky
Phidgetsian

Post by jnbastoky »

Thank you.