Wireless communication with the PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 w

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
AlexGP
Phidgetsian

Wireless communication with the PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 w

Postby AlexGP » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 am

I have some questions about the PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 w/6 Port Hub:
Can I use the PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 w/6 Port Hub to control servos and dc motors ?
Can I communicate From my PC with the PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 w/6 Port Hub via wireless just by connecting a wireless addapter to the device ?

mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Wireless communication with the PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/

Postby mparadis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Our Interface Kits are not capable of controlling DC motors or servo motors because DC motors require much higher current than the outputs are rated to provide, and servo motors require a special pulse-code modulation signal to operate. The Interface Kits are designed to gather data from analog sensors and digital inputs, and to provide logic-level outputs for simple devices like LEDs or integrated circuit chips. To control DC motors with Phidgets, you must use a DC Motor Controller, and for servo motors a Servo Motor Controller.

Connecting a wireless adapter to an Interface Kit will not work, because these adapters are designed to plug into a computer. The Interface Kit is not a computer; you can think of it as a hub where data from its various inputs is gathered and accessed by your computer using commands. Devices plugged into the USB hub on the 1019 Interface Kit are effectively plugged into whatever computer you connect the 1019 to.

Unfortunately, using a portable computer such as the PhidgetSBC is the only way to use Phidgets wirelessly.

SkipFire
Phidgeteer!

Re: Wireless communication with the PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/

Postby SkipFire » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 am

AlexGP, I'm not sure if you were meaning 802.11 wireless or not, but there is an option of wireless USB. I have found wireless USB to be highly problematic though.

Return to “InterfaceKits”