purchase a barcode reader

Technical Discussion on the PhidgetRFID
hadrixy

purchase a barcode reader

Postby hadrixy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:54 pm

Can you purchase a barcode reader or scanner that can be programmed to read any barcoding? We are getting product that has existing bar-codes. Without buying an entire system, can we purchase hand helds that can be programmed to read that existing barcode?
Last edited by hadrixy on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

erik
King of the Lab

Re: purchase a barcode reader

Postby erik » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 am

While we don't sell barcode scanners, we do have one that we use for our internal component inventory.

Usually the scanners can read a variety of types of barcodes without the need to be programmed. A quick google turns up http://www.nationalbarcode.com/catalog/idtech/econoscan-ii.htm as an example. Under the full specification document under "Symbologies" you can see the different types of codes that it can read. You just have to determine what kind of barcode your product has.

Most smartphones have a free app that can scan barcodes using the camera. The app normally also tells you what kind of barcode it has. So you can use this to determine the kind of barcode and which barcode scanner you need.

As for your initial question of whether they can be programmed, I would assume not. You would just have to buy the more expensive ones that can read all barcodes if you are expecting a whole slew of different barcode types.

arronlee
Fresh meat

Re: purchase a barcode reader

Postby arronlee » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:52 am

Hi,
Thanks for your sharing.It is appreciated very much. And I wonder whether there are some differences between the
c# barcode generation add-in I am testing these days and the one you mentioned above? Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? I am totally a green hand on barcode generating field. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Arron

Return to “RFID”