Can't register Phidget21.dll & Phidget21COM.dll in Vista

Legacy support with Phidget21
Doug

Can't register Phidget21.dll & Phidget21COM.dll in Vista

Postby Doug » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:58 pm

Can't get Phidget21.dll and Phidget21COM.dll properly registered under Vista
Phidget21.msi installed fine and Phidget Control Panel works fine with Interface Kit - (Phidget21.dll seems to be in the System32 directory, but I can't tell if it is registered)
I put Phidget21COM.dll in the same directory and try to register it. I get DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005. MS indicates this means I don't have permission to register - even though I am an administrator account.
If I disable UAC, I can get the DLL to register - apparently, but no Phidget librarys show up in the VB6 Components window and these DLL's are not even seen by the Components browser.
I cannot register or unregister Phidgets21.DLL regardless of UAC status. (the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found)
The Phidget Control Panel still works fine.
What do I need to do to get these DLL's registered?

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Can't register Phidget21.dll & Phidget21COM.dll in Vista

Postby Patrick » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:20 am

phidget21.dll is not a COM library, you can't register it, this wouldn't make any sense. Phidge21COM.dll is registered by the MSI installer. Are you trying to register with regsvr32? You would need to run cmd as admin first to be able to, so that makes sense. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be showing up in your VB6 - did you restart the program after registering?

-Patrick

Doug

Postby Doug » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Yes I tried restatrting the program and then re-booting with no improvement.
I tried copying both DLL's to one of the VB6 example diectories and registering Phidget21COM.dll. Now the Compnents browser in VB6 can see the DLL, but when I select it, I get an error message:

'path\Phidget21COM.dll' was not registerable as an ActiveX Component.
I know Phidget21COM.dll is registered due to the confirmation message after registration and because I can also successfully unregister it.
VB6 seems to be working fine in all other respects.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:37 am

Are you new to Phidgets, or have you had this working properly in the past? We recently added ActiveX support to our COM library (previously it support COM only), and maybe this has introduced some problems.

-Patrick

Doug

Postby Doug » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:11 am

I have used several older versions of the Interface Kit888 running under various versions of Windows. This is the first time I have tried to run the new card and the first time I have tried Vista. Unfortunately my old computer is dead. Is the new card software compatible with the old cards?

Doug

Re: Can't register Phidget21COM.dll in Vista

Postby Doug » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:14 pm

I have succeeded in registering the Phidget21COM.dll from the Phidgets directory, however this library does not show up in the VB6 Project Components Adder, and when I select this file using the VB6 components browse button it pops up an error window explaining the file was not registerable as an ActiveX Component.
VB6 works fine in every other respect, but I can't run any Phidgets until I get this dll recognized by VB6.
Is this something that works for everyone else, or am I the only one trying to use Phidgets with VB6 under Vista?

aaristotle

Postby aaristotle » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:31 pm

I am also attempting to use the latest dlls with VB6 and Vista, and get the following message when I try to run the RFID sample program:
Type Mismatch
on the following line in the Form_Load() sub
Set RF = Controls.Add("Phidget21COM.PhidgetRFID", "RF")

I have used older versions of the DLLs (25/09/07) with Vista but am now trying to update my application to the lastest DLLs.
--------
Solved my problem in the end. I needed to browse to Phidget21COM.dll from both the References & Components and add it to both. It has been so long since I have needed to update the RFID application that the way the DLLs are used and some of the functions have changed ie .LedOn has replaced Outputstate(2).

Return to “VB 6.0”