Phidgets22 and AS support

Comments & issues
Stortof
Fresh meat

Phidgets22 and AS support

Post by Stortof »

Hi Phidgets guys,
I use your products for years now.
I am very surprised and sad that the new version does not support AS3...
Adobe AIR is one of the most used technology in interactive programs in museums and showrooms...
Look at your AS3 forum...it is one of the most active!
I hope you will change that and finally add AS3 to Phidgets22 and all AIR developpers will continue to use your (great) products.
Best.

Christophe.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Phidgets22 and AS support

Post by Patrick »

We will certainly consider adding new languages to Phidget22 going forward. We decided to launch with the 'core' languages used by most of our users.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that AS3 is still being used, I was under the impression that this language is on the way out, and has been for some time as Flash slowly dies away.

In the meantime, Phidget21 is still a supported library, and will be for the foreseeable future - it will never support the new VINT devices, but it does support our entire USB product line.

-Patrick
Stortof
Fresh meat

Re: Phidgets22 and AS support

Post by Stortof »

Hi Patrick and thanks for your response.

Yeah, Flash is clearly dead but Adobe AIR is going well. Adobe is updating the SDK 4 times a year and has no plan of shuting it down.

My job consists in making interactive programs for museums and showroom and I can assure you that AIR is the most used platform for this kind of programs (exept for 3D, where things like Unity performs better).

I really hope you will add AS3 support soon.

Best.