Thermocouple type not saving

Comments & issues
Lineage
Fresh meat

Thermocouple type not saving

Post by Lineage »

Hello.

(I am a newbie) I have recently installed my Phidget, thermocouple set up in my coffee roaster and all is working fine except for one small thing. I am using a "J type" thermocouple. Every time I start my computer up, the "thermocouple type" setting is lost (on the Phidget program) and has defaulted to "K type". I am worried that I will forget to change this every time, and might roast on a different setting. Is there a way to permanently save the thermocouple type to J type?

Kind regards and thank you.
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Thermocouple type not saving

Post by mparadis »

What program are you using for the roast? There should be a setting in the program that will remember the thermocouple type. If it's your own program, you should set the thermocouple type in the attach handler. If you're just using the Phidget Control Panel, there's no option like this because it's just meant to be a diagnostic tool to make sure your devices are working (although if you really like the control panel example, you could download and modify it- they're the C# GUI examples).
ipicco
Fresh meat

Post by ipicco »

Did you find a fix? I am having the same issue. It never used to be an issue until a few months back. It's driving me nuts. I need to change my TC type to J instead of K, but just like you Phidget Control Panel will NOT save the TC Type when I change it. It defaults back to K as soon as I close the window.
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

As mentioned above, the Phidget control panel doesn't have a setting that will allow it to remember the previously selected thermocouple type. It's meant to be a diagnostic tool, not a fully-featured interface. I'm not sure why this would have started happening suddenly, because it's been this way since Phidget22 was first released.

To elaborate, Phidget channels are designed to return to their default state whenever they are closed. This is useful for the next program that opens them so it can reliably use that Phidget without needing to double check all of its properties.

You have two options to fix this problem:

1. Use a program that has been written to have this feature or write a program that sets the desired properties in the attach handler for that channel. If you like the control panel's interface, our C# example projects are direct copies of the control panel, so you can download and edit those.

2. Open the channel remotely in another program, and then open it remotely in the control panel. As long as at least one client has the channel open at all times, it won't reset back to it's default state.
ipicco
Fresh meat

Post by ipicco »

The difference I've encountered is that I used to be running this on a mac and now i'm on a PC. On the Mac I used to be able to change the TC type and it would stick/change the output temperature reading to the correct output. I used to have to do this each time I started roasting, so I'm confident that the control panel had this function designed, but maybe only for the Mac version? Could there be a difference for the PC version?
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

My guess is that you were using Phidget21 on the Mac, which handled things differently. Phidget22 should behave the same regardless of OS.