Interface Kit and Relay

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
mig|6
Fresh meat

Interface Kit and Relay

Postby mig|6 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi, im not very good with electronics but I have a doubt:

I have a 1018_2 - PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8, i need to run a servo motor that works with 12v, so i bought a relay that needs 5v to operate, i need to turn on the relay from a digital output, but i only get 1v on my outputs, how can i turn a relay from a digital output?

I hope i explained well. :?

Thanks

mig|6
Fresh meat

Re: Interface Kit and Relay

Postby mig|6 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:40 pm

I noticed something intersting.

When i wire a cable from the 5v output and a cable from G output and i check it with my multimeter i got 5V

When i wire a cable from the output 1 and a cable from G output and i check it with my multimeter i got 5V

If i use the first option my relay works fine, if i use the second option it doesnt work.

Whats happening :S, i need to turn the relay from a digital output, why if the voltage is the same, it doesnt work?

Thanks

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Re: Interface Kit and Relay

Postby burley » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:14 am

The 5V output is a direct feed from USB power. That's a 5V 500mA max output. The digital outputs are logic outputs, they are only capable of driving maybe 5mA. More than that and the voltage will drop proportionally to keep the current high. Likely the relay is requiring a few dozen mA to actuate and as a result the digital output is not able to supply enough current and the voltage is dropping commensurately.
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

Return to “InterfaceKits”