Am I overloading my digital outputs?

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
Zippysport
Phidgetsian

Am I overloading my digital outputs?

Postby Zippysport » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:09 pm

I am trying to run a small but high torque motor by activating an output on my 0/16/16 interface board.

I have a 9v power supply. The ground for that is attached to the ground (G) terminal on the interface board. The positive of the power supply is connected to one side of my motor. The other side of the motor is connected to one of the digital outputs on the interface board.

The motor runs once, but will not run a second time on the same digital output port. If I move the motor wire to another digital output port, it works again, but just once.

I think I may be burning out each of the digital output ports in turn, as I try them. So far, I seem to have damaged two of the 16 digital output ports.

Every time I issue a command to the board, the LED lights up on the correct digital output on the board. The status returned by the board shows the digital output as active, the LED lights up, but it does not seem to be really activating the output.

Should I be using relays so as to not overtax the 0/16/16 board? The motor is normally powered by an 8.4v 1200mah battery pack.

I thought that this would be OK because the specs say the board is rated for 30v/2A.

My goal is to do two things:
1) Replace the battery with a 9v/38A power supply that plugs into the wall.
2) Replace the switch that normally activates the motor with the 0/16/16 board so that I can control it via computer

Zippysport
Phidgetsian

Re: Am I overloading my digital outputs?

Postby Zippysport » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:47 pm

The 0/16/16 is rated at 2 amps, but the motor is fused by a 15 amp fuse. That would be way more than the board was built to support. So, it looks like I'll be getting some relays.

Zippysport
Phidgetsian

Re: Am I overloading my digital outputs?

Postby Zippysport » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:39 am

Update:

It works just fine now that I've added the relays between the IO board and the motors. I had to buy a new IO board though. I should have been more careful!

Return to “InterfaceKits”