Need Help

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
twhittle14
Fresh meat

Need Help

Postby twhittle14 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:33 pm

I am working on a project where I have an object with wheels and I need to manually push the object, turn it a few times, and stop it, all while the data of the wheels, such as the velocity, acceleration, and turns, is being recorded. Then I need to place the object back where I began and have it automatically do what I did. I am fairly new to robotics and I'm not too sure what hardware I need to make this happen. Obviously I need motors for the wheels, but what can I use to record the data of the wheels then re-run it automatically?

fraser
Engineering

Re: Need Help

Postby fraser » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 am

yes you would definitely need a motor controller and a motor. As for distance travveled you could use an encoder on the motor shaft to record the amount the wheels rotate. For detecting turns, one way would be to put an encoder on a gear that rotates when the wheels do.

twhittle14
Fresh meat

Postby twhittle14 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:29 pm

So what exactly would the ideal setup be? I know I need motors and now know I need encoders on them, but how would the encoders communicate with the motor controller? Can the motor controller somehow save the data from the encoders to re-run it or do I need another part to do that?

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Postby burley » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 pm

The 1065 has a port for an encoder on it already. As for recording input, you would need to just store the information from the encoder events in an array or file for use later. If this robot needs to be mobile (not attached to a PC) then you need to use a microcontroller such as the 1072 to be the brain of your robot.
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

fraser
Engineering

Postby fraser » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:42 pm

There is no "ideal" setup but I can give you some helpful pointers on a reasonable solution.

The most economical solution would be to use the 1065, since it has much of the hardware you need.

My first recommendation is:

For controlling the car, use a DC motor to drive it forward, and an RC Servo to control the angle of the tires. For this you would need a 1066 and a servo. You can set up a single servo to do this by having it position a rod connecting the back side of the two tires. swinging it one way or another will turn both tires the same direction.

As for measuring the car, like we said, use an encoder on the DC motor shaft or on the tires, to measure the number of rotations. There are a number of options for measuring the direction of the wheels. Since there are analog inputs on the 1065 as well, you could use one of our sensors to do so. Perhaps attaching a potentiometer (1109) to the servo; or attach a slider (1112) to the rod connecting the two tires; or many other options probably exist as well, just remember there is only one encoder input on the 1065. Just log the encoder and sensor values along with their time and you should be able to make it work.

Again this is just my personal suggestion to give you some ideas on a low cost solution. There are likely better options if you are not limited by cost.

Return to “InterfaceKits”