Encoder Interface

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
laptop2d

Encoder Interface

Postby laptop2d » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:52 pm

I have a Phidgets encoder interface, right now I am connecting an encoder to the interface and importing the data into matlab. I have two problems.
1. I cannot connect to the libraries in matlab. I get a "library not found" error. Has anyone used these libraries with matlab 2008a?
2. I have been testing the interface with the executable supplied with the program, it gives a count, direction and milliseconds since the last change. I have successfully connected standard encoders and tested them with the interface. The encoder that I want to use has only channel A information, I have tested it with an oscilloscope and I can see the square wave. The phidgets program does not change however, it notices that there is a change with the time indicator but it does not count. Has anyone used the phidgets with an encoder that only uses channel A?

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Encoder Interface

Postby Patrick » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? If matlab is 32-bit and you're using 64-bit, you'll have to bring in the 32-bit version of phidget21.dll.

As for the encoder, you need to have both channel A and B - it decodes quadrature; otherwise there would be no way to determine the direction of rotation.

-Patrick

laptop2d

Postby laptop2d » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:26 pm

I got the encoder interface working with matlab. The problem is I have an encoder that is one channel, the interface does not work with a one channel encoder. Is there any way to get around this?

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Use a different encoder.

-Patrick

Return to “InterfaceKits”