connecting digital i/o to two different interface kits in parallel

Technical Discussions on any InterfaceKits
f3d
Fresh meat

connecting digital i/o to two different interface kits in parallel

Post by f3d »

Is it possible to connect a 24v digital input (external power supply), or a 24v output at the same time (in parallel) to two interface kits (0/16/16)?

I guess it is possible. In the case of the input both interface kits would receive the signal. In the case of the output, the decive attached (LED lamp) will turn on if ANY of the interface kits turn on that output. If both interface kits turn on the output at the same time it would be the same as if only one of the interface kits turns on the output. Is this correct? I just want to double check if my reasoning is OK.

The input and output would be connected using an external power supply. The ground of that power supply will be connected to both phidget cards.
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: connecting digital i/o to two different interface kits in parallel

Post by mparadis »

You can do this, but I can't think of a reason why you'd want to design a system this way. It's going to be much simpler to have each device connected to only one input or output.

If it's because each InterfaceKit is being controlled by a different program, you should just give each program access to both InterfaceKits and open them remotely so that each program can have both open at the same time.
f3d
Fresh meat

Re: connecting digital i/o to two different interface kits in parallel

Post by f3d »

mparadis wrote: mparadis
Thank for the reply. The reason I want to do this is the following:

There are two computers, each one has its own phidgets card and runs simultaneously its own program with its own i/o devices. If some of the i/o devices are cabled to both systems I will have the flexibility to use them in one or the other system. For example, if I have an error beacon lamp, then it will be possible to turn it on from any of the systems.