Basic Andriod - Phidgets USB Example advice request

Supporting 4.1 and up
Raph304
Fresh meat

Basic Andriod - Phidgets USB Example advice request

Postby Raph304 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi there,

I also posted this in Java section before I saw there was an Android section. Apologies mods.

I have two basic questions that I was hoping someone could give me a little guidance on.

Basic use info: Android / Java / Eclipse / Phidget-1023

1) I have downloaded and installed the proper phidget drivers and successfully ran the phidget control panel. When I connect my 1023 my Win-7 pc It is recognized and I can double click it in the list to see tag string and protocol data. In the example documentation I consistently see 'phidget interface kit 8/8/8' yet that is not there in my list. Should I expect to see that with a 1023 connected and reading data properly?

2) I have successfully compiled the phidget example applications for android. I installed them on my Acer Iconia tablet (running android 4.1.2). The Hello world example seems to work. It detects my 1023 and says 'hello'. The other examples do not. It seems that the main difference is that the hello world example declares a variable of type Manager and registers the device attached / detached listeners to that. The InterfaceKitUSbExample on the other hand will instantiate a variable of type InterfaceKitPhidget. These examples do not detect my 1023 when attached. I'm wondering if anyone could help me understand why it works for HelloWorld but not for InterfaceKitUSbExample.

Any advice / guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- R -

Raph304
Fresh meat

Re: Basic Andriod - Phidgets USB Example advice request

Postby Raph304 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:06 pm

From OP:

Okay, so I suppose the lesson here is to research before I post questions.

I now understand that the reason there is no 'phidget interface kit 8/8/8' visible is because there is no phidget interface connected. I had assumed that it was an extension made availabe as an interface but it turns out there is an interface board available.

Next, I wasn't paying attention to what the project was / should have been doing. Of course the InterfaceKitUSbExample wouldn't work... I don't have an interface to connect with.

Sorry for the waste of time. If anyone fumbles across this do what I didn't do. Read the documentation and the example code before posting questions that don't make any sense.

Sorry and thanks,

- R -

Return to “Android”