Phidgets On the Android OS

Supporting 4.1 and up
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Phidgets On the Android OS

Postby Patrick » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 pm

The USB host support will need to be written in Java and accesses by the native library via JNI, as the NDK is only at API level 9 and USB support is at level 12.

I'll probably implement this as an extra .jar for users that want to use USB host, or maybe an alternate phidget21.jar.

The native library itself will work on any android device > 1.5.

-Patrick

RobOrt
Phidgeteer!

Postby RobOrt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:28 pm

I've Just published version 1.0.5 of my app to the Android Market. It now provides access to all the digital inputs, outputs and sensors of the 8/8/8 Interface Kit with (I hope) a much better user interface.

There is still some room for improvement on the sensor UI as I have some difficulty in laying out the sensor indicators in a neat way, hence the used of 'Galleries' to flip between dials. I'm not particularly 'overwhelmed' by this solution having initially thought the use of 'Galleries' would provide an excellent way of presenting sensor data so work on this area continues...

Many thanks to those of you who have submitted crash reports. This is an excellent mechanism to provide valuable bug information to developers though only available on Android >= 2.2. So far I've only had a handful (is that good or bad?) but do submit them if you are given the opportunity.

As there seems to be an official Phidgets library for Android release imminent I do not now intend to compile the latest version myself. I think you can all appreciate that would be pointless now. With my own humble efforts I like to think I highlighted just what an excellent platform Android is and it brought forward the release of the official Android library. I don't think Phidgets as a company will regret diverting resources to Android. It is as we all 'droid users know far superior to Apple iPhone OS..

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 am

Yes, I would definitely say that you pushed us into going towards an official library. It's been on our list for a while, but we are always so busy doing things.

I'd imagine that you could just drop our library into your codebase - it's probably exactly the same as your anyways - but Phidgets is probably better equipped for releasing updates synchronously with our other libraries/platforms.

-Patrick

jgangatharan

Postby jgangatharan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:53 pm

So, When are we expecting Android library release ?

jgangatharan

Postby jgangatharan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:42 am

Hi Patrick,
Can you please tell when you are planning to release android library for Phidgets 1056 sensors ? I am looking forward for this.

-Gang

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm not sure when the release will be ready. It depends if we decide to release a webservice-only version before USB Host support is ready.

-Patrick

jrichardsMav
Fresh meat

Postby jrichardsMav » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:56 pm

So if I build an AIR app that uses phidgets, will I be able to deploy this to an Android device i.e. iconia a500, with honeycomb 3.2 and just be able to plug in my phidget into my tablet? If so. AMAZING. and when can I get my hands on a beta?

thank you.

Joshua

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:03 am

Probably not a AIR app - that's based on Flash right? The Android API will be for Java apps - and on 3.2+ we'll support USB Host.

I'm working on the API right now, hope to have something out by the end of the month.

-Patrick

RobOrt
Phidgeteer!

Postby RobOrt » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm looking forward to the official Android library release. I will literally be able to drop it into my Java programs!

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Official Android support is live.

-Patrick

Return to “Android”