Triggering a camera flash using water droplets

Any other Phidget projects you've done not related to the above subjects
scrope
Fresh meat

Triggering a camera flash using water droplets

Postby scrope » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:49 pm

I'd like to create a simple device that would allow me to trigger a camera flash (not on the camera) when a water droplet is about to splash into a pool of water. I'm thinking that a light sensor might be the way to go but I'm wondering if that would be the best.

When the water droplet interrupted the light I could then potentially control the delay before the flash fired so as to get the water droplet going into the water/striking the water/ coming out of the water.

I don't have much experience in hardware (I'm a software guy) but it sounds like this might be doable using the Phidget components.

Any suggestions as to which devices would be most appropriate and how to wire them up?

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Triggering a camera flash using water droplets

Postby Patrick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 pm

May be easier to control the dropping of the water droplet rather then detecting it.

-Patrick

scrope
Fresh meat

Postby scrope » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Patrick wrote:May be easier to control the dropping of the water droplet rather then detecting it.

-Patrick

An interesting idea but I have less of a clue how to do that than I think I do about triggering when I "see" a droplet go by. Since we are talking very short times here, I would need to know exactly when the drop was released and I can't figure out how I would do that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Why do you want to trigger just the flash and not the camera as well?

I'm not sure of the time for a water drop to fall (though it would be easy to calculate) but keep in mind that the analog inputs have a reporting latency of up to ~20ms or more.

I think your success will be much greater if you control the droplets directly.

Alternatively, you could go simpler and have a steady drip drip and keep taking pictures - but I think this isn't what you want.

http://www.diyphotography.net/the-compr ... aphy-guide
http://www.hiviz.com/kits/kits.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10756887@N ... 369221788/

-Patrick

scrope
Fresh meat

Postby scrope » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:09 pm

I did a quick calculation and with a 20ms delay that works out to about 6.4 feet of travel. I thought it might be a short enough delay but after doing the calculation I think I need a trigger with a shorter delay.

I like the drip trigger in the first URL you posted but all the equipment would be around $475 which is a bit more than I want to spend on this right now.

I might just take a low tech approach like what you mentioned and just shoot a lot of drips. It will take a lot more time but the cost is practically zero.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “Other”