Use of Phidgets

Any other Phidget projects you've done not related to the above subjects
PaulEscher

Use of Phidgets

Postby PaulEscher » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm wanting to build a coil winder, not exactly, but the idea will suffice. So I will have one axis that will turn the coil and another that will move back and forth to feed the wire onto the coil.

Will the 1062 - PhidgetStepper Unipolar 4-Motor be the right controller to control the two stepper motors?

And how would you suggest detecting the reverse point at the end of each pass? Say once the feeder has moved 3 inches it needs to reverse and go back 3 inches, on and on. I suspect that there will be some drift and so I figure that I should probably detect the 3 inches instead of relying on the number of steps that the motor makes. I could put some switches or infrared detectors at the 3 inch point and create a closed state for my software to flip the direction.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul

erik
King of the Lab

Re: Use of Phidgets

Postby erik » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:17 am

You could use the 1062 controller, however the amount of torque in unipolar motors (at least in the ones that we currently have in stock) may not be enough to sufficiently wind the wires tight enough, or to even turn at all once the roll gets heavier.

Using the 1063 Bipolar controller would be better suited for winding tighter and heavier rolls, although it would be more expensive. Additionally, the bipolar controller has a very fine position resolution and the drift is negligible. We use them with a 3-axis rotation platform to calibrate the PhidgetSpatials and they return to the same initial position after going through multiple full and partial rotations.

If you are set in not relying on the steps though, you could use 3520 Sharp Distance Sensor along with the adapter board, or two 1102 IR Sensors 5mm. These output Analog Signals depending on the distance they see and would require an ADC (such as a 1018 PhidgetInterfaceKit).

PaulEscher

Postby PaulEscher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Erik,
Thanks for the reply!

My actual application is rolling a polyester ribbon one layer thick down a 24" aluminum rod. So it is lightweight and there is not much pressure needed to get a good winding. I am currently using 2 DC motors and fiddling with resistors to get the speeds of the motors to sync. This is not working very well so it is time to upgrade to steppers and take full control.

The IR sensors are what I frequently see in ink jet printers and yes they were what I was thinking of. The feed head just blocks the sensor and then it changes direction until it hits the other one and then stops. Reload a new rod and then repeat the process.

So I will go with 2 steppers and the USB controller and if drift becomes a problem I can easily add the sensors.

As I also need a "cutter" to cut the ribbon, how fast does the HS-322HD move? Would it be fair to say that it can move something 1/2" and return to its starting position within one second? (Like a snake flicking its tongue.)

Paul

erik
King of the Lab

Postby erik » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

The Hitec HS-322D is rated for maximum angular speed of 316degrees/second. By attaching an arm instead of the wheel, you should be able to acheive that speed.

Return to “Other”