Matlab sensor reading with 1063 stepper driver

Legacy support with Phidget21
GVdB
Fresh meat

Matlab sensor reading with 1063 stepper driver

Postby GVdB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:06 am

We successfully connected our stepper on the 1063 driver and can control the stepper smoothly now with Matlab, based on the example file stepper.m that is included in the doc. Building an application requires of coarse more than just a stepper, driver and some software. That’s why we tried to install two proximity switches from Festo (available in our maintenance department) and used the analogin.m example to start with. Unfortunately nothing happens, no logging at all from the input. The sensor is a magnetic activated normal open reed contact SME-8-K-LED-24 that works fine as the orange LED is lighting up when it detects the magnet. I wonder if somebody could give an example how we can read this input as it should be easier to read since it’s only “ON” or “OFF”, more like a Digital Input instead of an analog one. Is the 1063 board it’s sensor input suitable for that sensor? Thanks for your info, GeertVdB

fraser
Engineering

Re: Matlab sensor reading with 1063 stepper driver

Postby fraser » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 am

reading through the datasheet it looks like that switch outputs a 12-30V signal. If that is correct then the output should not be connected to the digital inputs on the 1063. The inputs on the 1063 are rated for 5VDC. However, you can check the product manual for ways to still use it on the input, such as having the output on the switch control a mosfet that switches 5V to ground.

GVdB
Fresh meat

Re: Matlab sensor reading with 1063 stepper driver

Postby GVdB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks for the anwer, I hope I didn't blow up the input from the driver card. I'll order some magnetic contact switches that just are open or closed. Will the AnalogIn.m function work with that? The purpose is to detect the position from a sled on a lineair actuator to check when the device is powered, if the sled is in it's zero position before starting to move it with the stepper. Will a magnetic contact be sufficiant or do I need a more sophisticated sensor that needs extra power supply with a mosfet etc...? I suppose that the accuracy of detecting the zero position will be better with the proximity sensors? Thanks for your advise.

Return to “Matlab”