remote control switch

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
cizzi
Phidgeteer!

remote control switch

Postby cizzi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi, up until now my robot is turned on manuall with an on/off switch i installed for 12vdc power onboard the robot. My goal would be to turn the robot on and off (just like i would manually) remotely via a linux prompt (either shell script or linux program) over an internet connection. I already use the phidget interface board for analog and digital inputs, is there something you could sell me that would give me this functionally? or part of the system that would make this a reality? thanks

mparadis
Site Admin

Re: remote control switch

Postby mparadis » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm

You could achieve this kind of control with a PhidgetSBC3 and a wireless internet adapter. You could then remote into the SBC3, which runs linux, and control a relay with an interfaceKit that would turn on and off power to the robot. You could also control any other aspect of the robot that uses Phidgets.

You can read about the robot we made with this setup here: MURVV

cizzi
Phidgeteer!

Postby cizzi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:17 pm

mparadis wrote:You could achieve this kind of control with a PhidgetSBC3 and a wireless internet adapter. You could then remote into the SBC3, which runs linux, and control a relay with an interfaceKit that would turn on and off power to the robot. You could also control any other aspect of the robot that uses Phidgets.

You can read about the robot we made with this setup here: MURVV

Wouldn't the SBC need to be on all the time to receive the commands from the WIFI module? thats not feasible, it would drain the battery.

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 am

Ah, I see. Well, no matter what, you need something that will be on all the time in order to be able to access the power switch on demand. If you're looking for minimum power consumption, you might be able to get a small arduino-programmable processor like the attiny85, and connect it to some sort of wireless module. I'm not sure how you'd set something like this up to be controlled via a linux prompt, but that's where I would start looking.

frodegill
Phidget Mastermind

Postby frodegill » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:28 am

If the SBC3 supports WOWLAN, that could be an option. If not, I would go for a NodeMCU (Dirt-cheap. Originally shipped with a lua-interpreter, but you can flash it with a standard Arduino firmware and use the WiFiServer to listen for commands. It would have to be powered on all the time, but the system uses very little power and a decent USB PowerBank would keep it going for a long time, and by connecting a simple relay board you could switch a decent amount of current on and off.

Return to “Phidgets”