Wheel speed sensor

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
NRPueschel
Fresh meat

Wheel speed sensor

Postby NRPueschel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm just trying to find out if Phidgets can do what i want.

In short, what i would like to do is to build my own cyclocomputer, tracking the RPM of an exercise bike. That would then send the data to my personal PC (live, not recorded). I'm an application developer with plenty of .Net experience so i can do with the data what i want.

Is this something that I can do with a Phidgets kit? Does anyone have any suggestions for reading material to get started with? sorry if this is something that is answered in the forums already, i'm working remotely this week and surfing on hotel internet is worse than dialup.

Thanks in advance.
~Nick

mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Wheel speed sensor

Postby mparadis » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 am

Hi Nick,

The most accurate way to measure the rotation of a wheel is to attach an encoder to the axle, such as the 3530_0 - Optical Rotary Encoder ISC3004. The main challenge will be finding a good way to attach the encoder. You could use one of our shaft couplers if the axle protrudes and has a diameter of 4mm-12mm.

Once you have the encoder attached, you can simply plug it into an encoder interface board such as the 1057_2 - PhidgetEncoder HighSpeed. This board then plugs directly into your home computer via USB. This means the exercise bike would need to be close to the computer, since extending USB beyond 5m is usually unreliable (although with some soldering you could extend the encoder cable). If you need the bike to be "wireless", you'd need to buy a single-board computer and write a program to record and send the information to the computer that will be (presumably) using the data in real-time. Then you just have to convert from encoder pulses per second into rotations per minute.

You can read more about encoders and encoder interfaces in our Encoder Primer.

Return to “Phidgets”