Ethernet!!! Please!!!

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
bernied

Postby bernied » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:00 am

The slug (Linksys NSLU2) device seems to work well with the phidgets. So far I've managed to get my LCD8-8-8 to continuously display the output of two sensors (temperature and light). The slug costs about £50-60, which is under US$100. It needs some modification from standard, and some knowledge of linux, though the support base is growing for the device. You can use a usb flash drive for the operating system, though I use a usb hard-drive (powered by the usb bus). You could also add a usb wireless adapter, providing it had linux support. So this is definitely a TCP/IP solution - I use ssh to talk to the slug and tell it what to do to the phidgets.

I'm going to attempt to produce a smaller version of the gentoo installation, for use on a flash drive. If this is successful, I'll make it generally available.

The slug is very small for a computer - there's a pic here:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3779/image017gt1.jpg
The bottom silver thing is an 80GB hard drive, which should not be necessary to run the phidgets.

WhIteSidE

Using ICop Tech 6082

Postby WhIteSidE » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:04 am

I just purchased an ICOP Tech Vortex86-6082. It is a super tiny WinCE SBC which set me back only 129.99 It includes "all" the trimmings, and I am planning to use it with the PhidgetWebService in order to control a phidget from flash.

I'll post more, but this option seems excellent, as it allows the phidgets to remain relatively inexpensive.

~ Christopher

ben.wood

Postby ben.wood » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:19 pm

another option to solve this issue would be just to extend the reach of the sensors not nessessarlly the control interface.

Basically connect the Interface kit to the computer and then create a curcuit that uses a single chip rf receiver to receive signals from the sensors and trigger the correct input or post the correct analog value to the analog input.

Then attach a single chip transmitter circuit onto each of the sensors that has an assignable address 0-31 so it can accomodate any of the interface kits thus any value analog or digital from the sensor would be transmitted along with the address of the input to trigger and the receiver would then translate that back to the IK which can then do the communication with the host computer.

Something like this seems like it would have huge benifits for all users of Phidgets

wenger

Postby wenger » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:53 pm

I've been looking at the gumstix sbc (www.gumstix.com) for a while they seem (to me) to be a natural fit for phidgets but they don't have a USB interface on the motherboard. Just curious if anyone has tried to use one with one of the expansion boards to connect to phidgets... size would be perfect... cost is still a bit high. Not sure if Gumstix has a partner program for 3rd parties but the most amazing option would be to have phidgets build a version of the888 or such that would be a direct plugin to the gumstix using the hirose connector that the gumstix expansion boards already use.

GMPCM

Postby GMPCM » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:42 pm

ben.wood wrote:Another site to check out. But still not a replacement for wi-fi or bluetooth phidgets :(

http://www.wisair.com/products/referenc ... s-usb-hub/

Wow, someone posts a perfectly good and rather unique wireless phidget solution and it just gets ignored. I am amazed. Seriously, why would you need to redesign a nice small phidget sensor just to accomplish something that has already been addressed.
Wireless USB will be replacing the old wired standard in the future, so it is certainly something that people should become acquainted with. Anyone involved in robotics can likely envision some of the very important aspects of this technology (those hubs are pretty small and 5v is easy to provide). Those not inclined to conduct a DIY / development kit approach may be interested in a complete consumer package.

wenger

Postby wenger » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:30 pm

This device, while neat, does not seem currently practical.

1. Distance (30ft) is not sufficient although I've seen reference to another one - a later generation - that can do 100 feet. Thats more like it.
2. This is not a product you can buy but rather one that another company (probably not phidgets - more like dLink or Cisco/Linksys) would have to OEM to take to market.

my $0.02

GMPCM

Postby GMPCM » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:02 pm

The specifications for operating distance are based on full 480 Mbps throughput. With UWB, bandwidth simply decreases relative to distance and therefore the specification can be somewhat misleading. Phidget devices do not require an appreciable amount of bandwidth. Your reference to the 100ft specifications is still quite relevant, but at this distance the effective throughput is about 53 Mbps, and therefore it is typically not listed as a spec due to the fact that it is not the full (480 Mbps) throughput.
IOW, it will function just fine at 100 ft, but at this distance it would not be appropriate for something like a USB hard drive connection.

We currently import this product from Japan, and are simply awaiting FCC approval to begin sales in the USA. If you do not require a production level package you can currently obtain a development kit or the raw hardware from Wisair. It is basically the same thing, but without the nice enclosures.

nealadavis

Extend Range of USB to 500 meters

Postby nealadavis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:22 pm

Why not just extend the range of USB B&B as one that can use fiber to go upto 500 meters they claim; see this URL:

http://www.bb-elec.com/Subcategory.asp? ... ilType=Top

theshephard

Postby theshephard » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:02 pm

GMPCM wrote:Wow, someone posts a perfectly good and rather unique wireless phidget solution and it just gets ignored. I am amazed. Seriously, why would you need to redesign a nice small phidget sensor just to accomplish something that has already been addressed.

I agree that the sensor shouldn't violate its atomic nature, but I think Wireless USB is currently more expensive than putting a slug online.

tehfink

Re: Extend Range of USB to 500 meters

Postby tehfink » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:27 pm

nealadavis wrote:Why not just extend the range of USB B&B as one that can use fiber to go upto 500 meters they claim; see this URL:

http://www.bb-elec.com/Subcategory.asp? ... ilType=Top

or you can just wire your own; it's pretty simple:

http://girasoli.org/?p=58

Return to “Phidgets”