Ethernet!!! Please!!!

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:27 pm

Really just a "me too" comment, but it has been over a year since the last one. I too would like to place devices beyond USB range - in this case, throughout a house. X10 protocols offer this, but I don't really like their approach, they don't seem to have the great selection of sensors and actuators you do.

If I could have two or three WiFi devices in strategic locations, with USB cables from them to the other devices, that would be enough. I might even be able to live with Ethernet cable, but it would be much less attractive.

Certainly keeping the price down on the basic accessories is important, but I could spend several hundred dollars per WiFi device, if each supported a handful of attached sensors and actuators. One other issue: the power use should be pretty low - one purpose of my system would be energy management in the house, and I don't want to use more power than I save...

T0PS3O

Postby T0PS3O » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:19 am

This company make what they call 'air cables', basically to replace wires. They have USB to Serial etc. as you can see. I was surprised they didn't do USB A to USB B with the wire cut out in between. So I e-mailed them and they said they are going to release it this year.

Keep that bookmarked I'd say, it might well be the solution to the Phidget range 'problem' (albeit fairly pricy).

pythoncoder
Phidget Mastermind

Postby pythoncoder » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Reading this interesting thread, what I think we need is a mini-ITX PC running the Phidgets Web Service and an 803.11g wireless network. Ideally this would boot off a solid state disk such as the ones on mini-itx.com. Something like that would presumably work "out of the box" with any Phidget.

I'm not sure whether this would be best done using Linux or Windows. Obviously it would have to be happy booting up without a keyboard, mouse or monitor attached, and there are possible issues with the lifetime of flash disks. Surely somebody has put together a device like that?

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:24 am

yes, i'll put my vote in for a WIFI and/or BlueTooth phidget ... i have some cool projects in mind.

pythoncoder
Phidget Mastermind

Postby pythoncoder » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:44 am

Well it seems to me there's nothing to stop us building a wireless mini-ITX setup right now, as far as I can see all the tools are available. I envisage a very small Linux build such as Puppy Linux, loaded from a flash memory device and running in a ramdisk. This would be an all solid state system with no hard disk. Running in a ramdisk avoids writing excessively to the flash drive (which shortens their life). It would run the Linux version of the web service, and all the control programming would be done on the main PC.

I'm trying to get something like this running on a standard PC at the moment to see if it works, but climbing the Linux learning curve may take me a while...

ben.wood

Postby ben.wood » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:09 pm

Another site to check out. But still not a replacement for wi-fi or bluetooth phidgets :(

http://www.wisair.com/products/referenc ... s-usb-hub/

nathan

Postby nathan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:51 pm

Just a note to say that I've gotten phidgets to work quite nicely with a 2.5" hard drive installation of puppy2.

pythoncoder
Phidget Mastermind

Postby pythoncoder » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:31 am

Interesting, I'm also using Puppy but version 1.08. The box has no disk drive at all, but uses a Compact Flash card in an IDE adaptor. It runs the Phidget Web Service and will work with wired or wireless LANs. Puppy is actually ideal for this configuration because it can run entirely in RAM, avoiding unneccesary writes to the Flash memory.

This fulfils any need I have for Ethernet Phidgets.

Pete

blackdeath42

ethernet idea

Postby blackdeath42 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Why dont they make a Phidget that is a usb hub combind with a web server and wifi. For the Web server it could be like a router e.g. when you typed the ip address you get a web page that you could customise and write simple programs in.

bernied

Postby bernied » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:53 am

I'm planning to attempt a phidgets robot controlled by a Linksys NSLU (aka the Slug) network USB device. It runs linux on an ARM processor, uses a low voltage DC power supply (12V I think) and has two USB ports that can be attached to hubs for more USB. It also has a network socket.
It was built to be a network file sharing device, when attached to a suitable USB hard-drive.

For me, controllability through linux and low power consumption are the main selling points.

Return to “Phidgets”