Ethernet!!! Please!!!

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
Tim

Ethernet!!! Please!!!

Postby Tim » Sat May 08, 2004 11:02 am

Please bring out Phidgets that include a 10/100 Mb ETHERNET port in place of (or in addition to) the USB port.

The USB distance limitation is far too limiting. I have many applications for Phidgets that require distributed deployments. Ethernet is a more suitable, expandable, flexible, ubiquitous interface than USB.

Distance limitations? ...how big is the Internet??? What CAN'T you reach via TCP/IP Ethernet?

Thanks!

fitchett
Site Admin

Postby fitchett » Wed May 12, 2004 4:12 pm

Yes, everything can be reached from TCP/IP... imagine the security issues.

It's also an issue of cost. I want to make Phidgets cheaper, not more expensive.

Chester

Gene

Postby Gene » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:21 pm

I see a lot of use in this too. TCP/IP is plenty secure if behind a proper firewall. Of course sticking ethernet on everything won't work for cost, but how about an ethernet->USB module? I think such a unit would bring alot to the table.

BTW, I just found phidgets - looks awesome! I'm sure some of this stuff will be finding their way into my projects :)

Gene

MikeWeber

Postby MikeWeber » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:23 pm

Or perphaps a WiFi->USB module? Or simply phidget devices with WiFi capabilities.

strandtc

Postby strandtc » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:03 am

Something to think about...

USB is a Host to Device bus only... each device can't talk to another device.. it simplifies the devices in a structure like this. To add Ethernet or Wifi to Phidgets, you would have to integrate it into each phidget or some sort of custom interface. Having each Phidget device have its own TCP/IP stack (capability) in itself (not counting the Ethernet/Wifi chips) would add significant cost, power requirment, and size to each phidget.

For remote deployments, you might want to consider building a small computer that would be deployed at the location, with the phidgets devices included. For example, an <a href="http://www.mini-itx.com/">ITX based system</a> or an <a href="http://www.advantech.com">advantech Single board computer system</a> would be excellant choices. You could run complex firewalls on it, calculate advanced analasys of the inputs, and your system would be far more redundant with multiple hosts doing processing. On a centralized system, if your 1 machine has a problem, all sensors are down. On a distributed, a limited number are affected.

Anyway... thats my take on it. I would much rather buy the small $75 8/8/8 module as is, rather than an expensive $400+ module with ethernet or wifi.

-Chris

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:40 am

stradtc,

I agree adding Wifi to the Phidget device will add cost and make it larger. However, it will not be as large as a singleboard computer and not as expensive. Not to forget the OS needs to be installed as well as a harddrive and other items. I have a wifi camera and its cost is far less than $400 and the size is not an issue. It is no larger than a soda can (without the attena and stand its about the size of 1/2 a soda can) and it uses a wall transformer that is about the size of 1/2 a deck of cards. Redundancy is good for critical systems, but from what I have read here, Phidgets are not generally used for critical systems and my application is simply to monitor temperatures.

djaynewman

Postby djaynewman » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:53 pm

The whole concept of Phidgets seem to revolve around USB. There
are other ways of doing sensors.

Perhaps if somebody made a WiFi USB hub?

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:33 am

what about blue tooth... wifi is not a practical for all of the reasons listed above but bluetooth is essentially wireless USB.

It might also be nice if you guys did all the research and found a nice small low cost SBC that had a built in ethernet (and even maybe 802.11b/g) that also supports USB that could be used as the bridge to ethernet/wifi/etc.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:35 am

I saw a cheap USB print server at compusa the other day for $40 or so.
Ethernet on one side, usb on the other. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=165... I wonder if there is any way on earth to make these work with phidgets...hmm.....:)

fitchett
Site Admin

Postby fitchett » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:36 pm

It sounds like everyone here has a good grasp on the issues. It's not possible to build the Wifi USB hub, but it is possible to make the USB print server/phidget server. The server has to have intimate knowledge of the devices it is controlling; this is made easier in the case of USB devices that implement standards, like printers.

Wifi and Ethernet would be great products - but we have lots on our plate already. It will come eventually, and you will be able to control the hardware you already have with it.

Chester

Return to “Phidgets”