Node.js (nodejs) on SBC3

General PhidgetSBC Discussion.
anewsome
Phidgeteer!

Node.js (nodejs) on SBC3

Post by anewsome »

Has anyone successfully been able to run node.js on the SBC3?

I see some previous posts about it, but I didn't see any real resolution. After searching many internet instructions on how to get node.js working on Debian Wheezy, I finally found one that worked by using nodejs-legacy from wheezy-backports.

The node version that's installed with these instructions is very old, version v0.10.29. It also doesn't include node package manager (npm), which seems critical since I can't figure out how to install any modules (like websocket), or even how to make the example code run.

If anyone has been able to get node.js AND npm running on the SBC3, I would love to hear about it. I'm really excited about the new Phidgets JavaScript support but it won't be of much use to me if I can't figure out how to make a persistent server running on the SBC3.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Node.js (nodejs) on SBC3

Post by Patrick »

Unfortunately, Node.js newer then 0.10 can't run on SBC3 because it requires a newer processor. Our new SBC4 fully supports the latest Node.

You may be able to use client-side JavaScript depending on your application.

-Patrick
anewsome
Phidgeteer!

Re: Node.js (nodejs) on SBC3

Post by anewsome »

Thanks for the response Patrick. Unfortunately the SBC4 doesn't really work for this project since it only has 3 USB ports. I use all six of the USB ports on my SBC3. I use 4 for DC motor controllers and 2 for stepper controllers. If I need to redesign my case and my whole project and add a USB hub, I might as well go ahead and use one of the Raspberry PI that I already own.

SBC4 seems pretty cool and a bit of an upgrade from the SBC3 but it doesn't look like it's a good fit for this project.

Thanks, Aaron