Bluetooth

General PhidgetSBC Discussion.
Dale K
Fresh meat

Bluetooth

Post by Dale K »

We have an application where we want to connect wirelessly from a tablet to a Phidgets SBC with multiple interface kits attached. I saw the 802.11 adapters that would provide WiFi, but no Bluetooth. Is there any Bluetooth solution we could use in this environment? We don't really want to expose these units on an 802.11 WiFi network. We also may need to connect to multiple SBCs from the same tablet...

Thanks!
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Bluetooth

Post by Patrick »

You might consider getting a WiFi dongle for the SBC which supports master mode, and configuring the SBC itself as a wifi access point to connect to with your tablet. Getting IP over bluetooth working would be significantly more work.

-Patrick
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

can you tell us how to configure the SBC4 as a wifi access point?
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

I found another post, i think by Patrick, suggesting using hostapd, this worked great. i used this as a guide https://seravo.fi/2014/create-wireless- ... nt-hostapd
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

Hostapd was working, but has now stopped and nothing I do will get it to start again. I did disable webif update using update-rc.d phidgetsbcwebif disable as suggested by Patrick. I am wondering if something else in the SBC setup or startup controls the wifi adapter. It still seems available on the web page. any help is appreciated.
speed
Phidgeteer!

Post by speed »

It seems that wpa_supplicant is the issue. If I kill this process then hostapd works. I think i'll edit the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file and see if that will somehow stop this from interfering. Any input on the correct way to handle this would be appreciated.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

You will also need to move/delete the file: /lib/udev/rules.d/60-usb-wifi.rules - this starts up wpa_supplicant when the USB dongle is plugged in / on boot.

-Patrick